Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Sunroom window demo begins....UPDATE~finis~
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunroom window demo begins....UPDATE~finis~ Sign In/Join 
Picture of annielinz
posted
So in Calif we are in a total drought mode, been dry as a bone, well it pours on Sunday the day before we are to have our sunroom windows demo'ed.
Luckily it was clear and dry, yet a bit chilly Monday when they came to pull off the windows. Well luck didn't hold, they found mucho water damage (no surprise there) and the whole little wall that holds up the window insert needs to be rebuilt. So work came to a halt yesterday and today,(hopefully) they will demo that and start to rebuild it up. Meanwhile they are predicting rain Thursday :-(. Anyway, all we have covering this gaping hole is this thin piece of plastic....did I sleep well last night????

Here are a few pics, most are with the cell phone so sorry for quality.

Heres a quick before, then some afters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annielinz,

Posts: 2826 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
after

Posts: 2826 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
thin plastic between me and who knows....

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Crossing my fingers they are wrong about the weather report (they usually are).

What are you replacing the curved window with?

Posts: 9545 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Always, we are doing a similar insert only no curve. The curve is made out of plexiglass, which something we didn't want. So instead they are making it square with transome windows on top and sliding windows below.
I am keeping my fingers crossed with the weather, hoping by Thursday they will have the windows up and just be doing the finishing work inside.
Keep you posted on progress!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
as bad as the drought is, I'd be torn...to me that plastic doesn't look sturdy enough...we buy plastic every winter at least 10mil thick (we wrap the structure over fish pond)

Posts: 8518 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your window! I know you guys desperately need rain out there, but the timing couldn't have been worse!!

Wanda

Posts: 4851 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Sjf- I thought the same thing about the plastic!!! It all worked out last night-I haven't been home to check on progress yet.

Wanda-they wanted to start last Thursday-but with the possibility of rain we figured they wouldn't work the weekend...so after Sundays downpour- so glad we postponed till Monday!

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Hope the weather hold out for ya.

It took me a minute to figure out what I was looking at, but what are they going to do with the area that used to be where the curve was? Is that area going to be outside when they're done?

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Bella, the best way I can explain it is, they will extend the roofline and inside ceiling till it vertically matches with the bottom wall then slide in the windows therefore totally alleviating the round curve, creating a wall of windows. The house profile will now be square.

Today they demo'ed the bottom wall and rebuilt it and tomorrow they will hopefully extend the roof and ceiling and insert the windows....

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. Love your sunroom! It's going to be even more fab when it's finished.

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
Another Californian checking in. I am northern CA, just above SF, and we are to get rain tomorrow (Wednesday and maybe Thursday). The weather people are calling for a change for MORE rain over the weekend.

It is so bad here, that Santa Rosa needs close to 20 inches of rain just to reach normal. Frown

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7661 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add I can't wait to see the finished room. Smile

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7661 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Hey Catie, thanks! I hope you get a good dose of the wet stuff. Just watched the news and it looks like 60% chance on Thursday for us on the central coast-they better kick it into high gear tomorrow!!!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Great project! Can't wait to see it finished, and I am sure you feel the same!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Posts: 9701 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Well they worked like dogs today and got the wall done and windows installed. Tomorrow they will work inside on trim and then Friday finish up on the outside.

Very happy with the results.

Heres a couple of update pics

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
heres an outside

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful improvement!!!

Posts: 3129 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
BIG improvement! The room is going to look fabulous, heck it already does! Smile

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
It's wonderful! I think the transoms are much nicer. The new roof configuration should take care of potential rot problems too. Great job by all!

Christie

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, very happy with the results so far.....

So the good news is they got the windows in yesterday, because today the sky opened up and it has been pouring!

The bad news is one of they guys cut his finger pretty bad on the job here and they spent most of the morning in the ER getting him stitched up :-(.

So because the remaining work inside needs two people, they will be back tomorrow with another guy to help out.

The other bright spot is with all this rain theres been no leaks, yeah!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the final reveal.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It looks great Annie. Such a big improvement Smile

Posts: 4688 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
WOW, looks so CLEAN AND NEW!!! Smile

Posts: 9701 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I love what's being done with this new window design. It's going to be your favorite room in your home. Please keep us posted as it's completed.

Posts: 9010 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Looking good Annie!

Wanda

Posts: 4851 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Finally we are done, very happy with the finished job.

Now I have to work on recovering the cushions and the chairs....

Thank you all for following along :-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annielinz,

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Wow! Love the redo!

Posts: 3232 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks fantastic!

Posts: 4074 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
What an awesome room! Have fun playing with the décor! Can't wait to see what you do. Nice project.

Posts: 9010 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
The windows came out fab. I love that space. The nook in the corner would be my "eyebrow" plucking area. I'm getting to that age where I need bright light for that task ;-)

Enjoy your space.

Posts: 9545 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Turned out GREAT! It's amazing how a change in the color of the windows alone made it all seem much brighter. Love the new transoms!

Christie

Picture of siena
posted Hide Post
Oooh, I love your room with the wall of windows, sure does bring the outdoors in!

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
Oh WOW....VERY nice!!!!

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Absolutely gorgeous - well worth the money!!!

Posts: 1136 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Great update!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12714 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
We start every day in this room enjoying our coffee and we are even blown away with how bright and clean it feels. The old windows were so etched and those honey comb shades were disgusting! Not sad to see them go at all!!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
annielinz,
AWESOME! I know you are ENJOYING every minute in there! I can just feel the JOY In your voice, and NO LEAKS is such a good thing!

Too bad one guy got hurt... so professional to send someone who could help finish the job!

Sit back and ENJOY! Really came out beautiful!

posted Hide Post
This turned out great! Love your wall of windows. The more substantial window frames give your sunroom a more permanent and substantial look (if that makes sense). I'm sure you will enjoy the room more now.

Posts: 4046 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post