Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  I ALWAYS second guess
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I ALWAYS second guess Sign In/Join 
posted
I thought it'd be easier with hiring someone to redo our kitchen...wrong. He came, we talked, he suggested, all good up to almost the time to commit. Then I get scared and want to shut down. Problem...our cabinets are original to our '48 home, solid wood, sturdy, but over the years a little worn. I thought I'd want new cabinets, but what we can afford in todays cabinets just don't compare to what we have. I don't want to comform to a cookie cutter style, that I think everyone has. I'm looking for an updated look but with a vintage vibe, I don't like things that look new, if that makes sense. I'm thinking new wood type floors, recessed ceiling lights, new countertop, new over the range microwave, new dishwasher, bead board backsplash, mini chandelier above the sink (need a little bling)if budget allows a drainboard sink, and just sprucing up our current cabinets (including getting rid of the scallop edge above sink) I'm scared of making a decision and being sorry in the end. Keeping the original cabinets or getting new is a big decision, that isn't as easy as a bad paint color that can be remedied with a new coat. Ultimately in the end, I have to do what satisfies me but do any of you have advise? Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mountainbeach,

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would keep the original cabinets if you are happy with the quality and style. They can be refurbished for a reasonable cost and give you the vintage look you like. Modern solid wood cabinets are very expensive and the money saved on the cabinets can be spent on the rest of the kitchen.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainbeach:

"that isn't as easy as a bad paint color that can be remedied with a new coat. Ultimately in the end, I have to do what satisfies me but do any of you have advise? Thanks

Mountainbeach,

I can hear your distress in your post. You are wise to pull back and re-group if you are having doubts. It takes time to plan and organize a kitchen re-do.

Why not embrace your kitchen and design around the features. Can you live with the pink counter tops?

If not they can be replaced with another laminate. Personally, I like laminate in my kitchen as it functions and cleans well. Just personal preference. If it needs a change, easy to coordinate and afford.

The scallop above the sink lends confirmation to the vintage style. Very nice.

BTW your post is timely. I'm halfway through a wall of paint and it isn't happening for me. UG!

A few ideas here

http://pinterest.com/createdby...-and-white-kitchens/

Not sure of your style direction but consider the re-do in phases to make it budget friendly.

Are you good with the current layout or does it need tweaking? How is the function of the other side of the kitchen? That would be a major point for a needed over haul. It just dpends on what you need.

A black and white tile floor would help tie in the white cabinets and black appliances. You could run in lot of directions from there.

Looks like a fun project. Good luck!

PS Black and white floors for you.

fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/search?...ial&client=firefox-a

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New counters and floors will make an enormous change in your kitchen. If you are happy with the quality and layout of the cupboards themselves, consider updating the doors and drawers. Most cabinet shops can replace those while keeping the boxes intact. Since they are painted, the new doors and drawers can be made from inexpensive maple and painted to match.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the advice my uncle (whose business was custom cabinets) and kept my old site-built cabinets. I had my carpenter build another bank of cabinets on the opposite wall that mimic the originals (It looks like a big piece of furniture because the lowers are all drawers). Your cabinets are similar to mine except you are lucky enough to have the ones on top where I have a soffit. Since I like a plain door it made no sense to me to replace the doors on mine. My carpenter changed the hardware and used those "invisible" hinges. I meant to get rid of the scallop, but ended keeping it. The big change with my cabinets was painting them white in 1993 and then opting for a sage green/dark blue combo when I redid the kitchen again in 2007.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I agree.....I would keep your cabinets!!! New countertops, flooring, and hardware will go a long way in the updating.

Since you want to mount a micro over the stove (great thing) is it possible to have a wooden "end panel" built along the edge of the stove? It could be painted the same as the cabinets and would make that side of the kitchen look built-in. It is the abrupt ending of the stove side that makes the kitchen seem unplanned.

Your new kitchen will look fabulous with the vintage look!

I am not sure about a chandy in there.....might seem out of place.

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grapefruit, I have to ask. Why is the microwave over the stove a "great thing"???

Besides the "decorating" side of it and the fact that you gain a little more counter space, I don't understand why.

Just what I need to do at my age, stand on a chair to clean it out. And I can't imagine taking a bowl of hot soup out of it when I'm reaching. And the reason your stove has to be attached to the wall is because kids have gotten hurt standing on the oven door to use the microwave. Not to mention reaching over a boiling pot of spaghetti because you wanted the meatballs to be a little warmer.

Sorry, not a "great thing" for me.

Posts: 1922 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Gosh, Jaysmom, I am sorry that you have had these issues. It is great for me because I prefer the look and the extra counter space. Perhaps I am taller and have not experienced these concerns. I can easily remove items and have never felt anxious about spilling something. In fact, it seems to be much more difficult for me to remove a heavy, juicy pan from my oven. I often do worry about it slipping. My kids never had any issues either, thankfully.

Once again it is a matter of personal preference.

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thankfully, I haven't had those issues because I've always had mine in an antique Sellers cabinet that gives me extra counter space and also houses a small TV.
But then, I was the type of Mom who put the cereal bowls in the bottom cabinet so DS could make his own cereal at 3!
You're right, it is a matter of personal preference.

Posts: 1922 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
You'll never get cabinets as good as what you have. Anything vintage isn't "made like that anymore". I would keep the cabinets and work on the other things. I like your kitchen and I think with the changes you mentioned it would have a fresh, clean "vintage" look!!!

Martha

Posts: 5396 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
MB, here's a timely article from Houzz that might give you some ideas and inspiration: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks...utm_content=gallery0

Posts: 5162 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainbeach:
I thought I'd want new cabinets, but what we can afford in todays cabinets just don't compare to what we have. I don't want to comform to a cookie cutter style, that I think everyone has. I'm looking for an updated look but with a vintage vibe, I don't like things that look new, if that makes sense.

We finished a total gut-it remodel of our kitchen in December. It took us months of planning, shopping, interviewing, etc. before anything got started. If you are happy with the cabs and can salvage, then do so. We could not and the configuration was awful, so we sucked it up and bought new. The biggest advantage to that was that new, modern cabs have sooooooo many more options. Pull outs, drawers, pantry pull outs.

And we didn't second guess - it was third fourth and fifth guesses before we proceeded. So take your time and re-group. Shop around and TALK to people - contractors, salespeople (we never had a pushy sale either).

The other big thing we did was go to EVERY open house in our neighborhood to see what others were doing. It helped a lot.

Posts: 2954 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I also think you should keep your cabinets. I'd keep the scallop trim, too, since it was part of the original design. You're so lucky to have a kitchen that will NEVER go out of style because it's original to your home, and the layout is really nice, even allowing for a dishwasher. If it were mine, I'd add butcher block countertops and I agree with Beau's Rose about the black and white floor. I'd also do as sms29s66 suggests, and have a matching custom cabinet made to place between the stove and fridge.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annett,

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think you are wise to regroup before making big decisions.

I have had two friends get new cabinets and they are not happy with them. They lost so much space in the new ones. Drawers were so much more shallow etc. Some cabinets didn't butt up together but had a spacer between them (thus losing space) etc.

Good luck.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6168 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call what you did 'second guessing'! I would call it coming to your senses! I think upgrading your kitchen is better than replacing with less quality and cookie cutter look.

Your cabinets will last a long time and if you want to change the look, my suggestion:

change the hardware, putty the holes and lower the knobs.. get rid of the colonial shaped valance as you mentioned.

NEW:
Backsplash and counter top. Whether it is granite or Formica, getting the pink out will give the whole space a great new look.

You can add a small molding to the doors. Here is one idea:
http://pinterest.com/pin/129900770472271900/

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: my contractor came by again to discuss the new changes I want (he jokingly said I get to change my mind 3 times before he chokes me, lol) I think he thought I was a little off when I told him I want to keep my current cabinets. After explaining that I don't like a new/perfect look I feel he understood. I told him to price me to have them spray painted (if the price is good, it's less work that I have to do, right?) Well, estimate: $800-$1000. I now feel bad that I laughed at him, it was just a shock reaction on my part. So, I'm painting them myself, I enjoy painting anyhow Smile

posted Hide Post
I would accept that price in a heartbeat!!!

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around in my neck of woods-MI- that's an excellent price.

Posts: 3051 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could be a good price??? it's the only one I got. I'm a SAHM, at this time in our lives, I have more time than money. A bonus also, with what I save doing it myself, I might just bite the bullet and go for the drainboard sink I've been drooling over.

posted Hide Post
I LOVE drainboard sinks. Looks like you're going in the right direction. Check out retrorenovation.com. Pam just did a whole thing on drainboard sinks. I was drooling over them, too LOL!

posted Hide Post
If you opt for a drainboard sink with two bowls, how much counter space will you be giving up?

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
I would definitely keep the cabinets - and I think his quote is a good one, fwiw.

Your picture reminded me of this project at Houzz.com:

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks...-Kitchen-on-a-Budget

Maybe you could use it as inspiration?

Posts: 833 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jul 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Azul, very cute kitchen, so charming. Love the cabinets on top painted a soft green and the bottoms white. Just so cute. Nice find, to give Mountainbeach some ideas.

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post