Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Weekend Renovations Myth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weekend Renovations Myth Sign In/Join 
posted
You know those shows where they completely renovate a room, or several rooms in a single weekend with only 5 people on camera?

Don't believe it! It can't possibly be true! I've been working on the Master Bath for a week now. I still have many things on my checklist yet to do. I've even had help from my husband (who is a Rock Star when it comes to helping me with these projects)-

Massive renovations either take time, or a whole mass of people- but I'm calling that weekend renovation with a handful of people busted!

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
That is precisely why I never watch HGTV anymore. It is mostly fake, unfortunately!

On the other hand, I love seeing what all of you talented posters do!

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
That is precisely why I never watch HGTV anymore. It is mostly fake, unfortunately!

On the other hand, I love seeing what all of you talented posters do!

Here here!!!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Totally true, Tomatoqueen.

Those shows that make it all look so simple, quick, easy and cheap don't do the TV audience any favors. Pet peeve of mine.

There is a show I saw advertized that renovates an entire kitchen while the couple is out for the evening. You should have seen my eyes roll.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I remember on Joan Steffand's show where it showed she and the designer painting the room . . . and later shows showed the two or three guys who REALLY painted the room!

Sigh, a bubble burst for sure! Took some of the fun out of it!

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I can't even clean my living room a weekend, much less renovate it.... Big Grin

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grp18
posted Hide Post
Recently my daughter and I painted a small bedroom. It took us a week till we got it all back together and we still haven't put the finishing touches on it. We both work and have other household things to do. Then of course there was a day to let our aching backs recover!

Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I agree and another example?
They often paint wood or other surfaces with no surface cleaning or prep...let alone use a proper primer and allow that to cure, prior to top coat. All slapdash results that are not made to last. If we could see the results up close...we would no doubt be shocked and disgusted with any details the camera does not choose to show.

It is no help to someone inexperienced but trying to do it right. Just makes them waste valuable time and cash buying paint/supplies that need to all be redone...again.
Wait? Gosh.... that is probably the advertisers goal!

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
NONE of our renovations ever took one weeked!

That's a nice fairytale! Big Grin

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Over the past two weeks, we replaced the toilets in both bathrooms - one each on a Saturday. It took the better part of the day for each toilet and there is NO WAY an entire bathroom could be done in a weekend. It takes me a day to clean one as it is....

Posts: 2954 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
TQ,

You are so right. It takes me much longer to get anything done now.

I also never understood how they only spent 20.00 or so for paint on those shows.

Good Luck on your re-do!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9315 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a week and I'm still not finished. I think I might be finished by the end of this week. Granted, I do not have even a small crew to help me. Just me and DH. But it's coming along.

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indexlady:
I can't even clean my living room a weekend, much less renovate it.... Big Grin

So true! We have a small cottage on a lake and weekends are the only time we can work on it. Needless to say, even the smallest projects take us longer than that. As others have said, it does TV viewers a disservice to promote the idea. It's not only impractical but all the shortcuts taken will only result in more work in the future when things done haphazardly start to fail.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post