Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  My first whole wall stencil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first whole wall stencil Sign In/Join 
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted
This is not a good picture but wanted to show you guys the wall stencil I did. It wasn't easy for this 73 year old but I got it done...don't think I would do another though. The painting at the bottom of the picture is one I am going to be using on that wall with the bed below it. It is the guest room. I will post a pic when I get the room completely done.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
I meant to say, this looks kind of yellow on my monitor and it is a very light green. This is a closeup of the stencil.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
AMAZING! I love it and it looks so PERFECT!
HOORAY for all that beautiful work! WOW I am impressed!
Thanks so much for sharing this photo! Motivates me!!! Smile

Posts: 9774 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks really good, I don't have the patience to do something like this Smile

Posts: 566 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Perfection! APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE...

Posts: 18699 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
It is very pretty Hammerhugger. The painting will look very nice on the wall. I love your colors.

Posts: 2261 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I am looking forward to your pictures when the room is complete.

Posts: 531 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I love this! You did an awesome job. I've been wanting to do something similar. Maybe I will do more than dream about it after the first of the year. Thanks for the inspiration. Job well done!

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! I got my stencil at Cuttingedgestencils.com for those who are interested!

--Mel Weldon

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
You did a great job! I am very impressed!

Martha

Posts: 6071 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
That is beautiful!!

Posts: 8007 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to tell you I always enjoy the px you post. Your style of decorating is similar to mine so you give me good ideas.

Posts: 7115 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Wow! That took dedication and a steady hand! Truly amazing.

Posts: 3341 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stunning! Thanks for sharing the results of all your hard work.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6309 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Terrific job...I would never have the patience; whew!

Congratulations and a standing ovation to you Smile

Posts: 2877 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I like it very very much! It does require patience but can be done in stages I'm sure!

How big is the actual element(s)?

I mean how many of the shape does the stencil contain? One? Or more?

I like the idea of a piece of art over the work of art! Will this wall serve as the focus wall?

I mean you didn't do the whole room did you?

Posts: 12796 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Fabulous. You did an amazing job on it. It looks time consuming and a lot of work. Congrats!!
I would like to try something like that too. How big was the stencil you use? Can you show a pic of it??

Posts: 4752 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Here is the website.....it lists the size, etc. My stencil I used is called "Casablanca", only what they show is white on dark blue where I put blue on light green. It is a good sized stencil. It really didn't take all that long and if I were younger, it would have taken less time yet. I think I was at it for 2 days and then did touchup the 3rd day. This stencil includes a side stencil and a top stencil but it is difficult to use without cutting it because you have to bend the stencil into the corner. My husband ended up holding it for me while I did the sides. Another thing that made it more difficult for me is that I have what they call "knockdown" walls. It is kind of textured but not like a popcorn ceiling. So the stencil did not want to lay as flat as it would on a wall that didn't have texture.

--Mel Weldon

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Oh,and meant to say, I did not do the whole room, only the one wall. That was enough! I tried stenciling on some fabric and that was actually harder than on the wall.

--Mel Weldon

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Hammerhugger - thank you so much for this thread! The website has such pretty stencils and it might be the solution to my boring beige walls! We have arabesque tile in the kitchen, so I'm thinking we could do the hall walls leading to it in a similar pattern. We'll see how DH feels about it!

Really incredible inspiration. Thank you!

Posts: 3341 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
Really pretty, and I love the colors you chose!

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Wow, that takes a lot of patience and a steady hand. You did a great job!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7486 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
What a great job on your wall stencil. You must have lots of patience. Very nice!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9461 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I thot about doing that at one time - changed my mind! You are a brave woman! Love it! Looks wonderful & the picture will look perfect!

Posts: 10424 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Cutting Edge Stencils! It takes a bit of perseverance, but the result is worth it. I used their Hand Forged stencil in my bedroom, and still get compliments on it. It's the brown and blue picture on this page:
http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/hgtv-stencil.html

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 73 years old and I always like a challenge but that wall would be a whopper for me. It looks great.

Wanda

Posts: 1791 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Ok, I keep looking at your post and can't think of anything to say that will won't get my post auto-pulled for profanity. Somehow a polite compliment would seem like a screaming understatement! It looks FANTASTIC!

How in the world do you keep everything straight??? It's not something I can even imagine trying and I have the greatest respect for anyone who can do it.

I like the way I think your painting is going to be with it. I like subtly designed spaces. There's a wonderful calm about them. Please post the finished area! It's gonna be great!

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post