Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Why are recliners so ugly??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are recliners so ugly?? Sign In/Join 
posted
Due to limited space and a bad back, I am looking to buy a recliner. I have checked out every website from here to Slumberland and, let's face it, most recliners are ugly!! I don't want something that came out of a 1970's man-cave, i.e. overstuffed, rolled-arms & covered in naugahyde, and I don't want my grandma's wingback. I just want something with contemporary lines that won't cost me more than a new car. Any suggestions? All input is appreciated.

Posts: 31 | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Does this look like a recliner?

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12601 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Or this? Both of these are La-Z-boy recliners.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12601 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or...
http://www.dwr.com/product/lc4...=Search#.UUEgFVfltEs

Only the 1/3 the price of a small car.

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
There are lots of other styles, check out Scandinavian Designs web site, In some parts of the country it's called Dania.
http://www.scandinaviandesigns.com/
if you have a Relax the Back store?

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I think the fabric has a lot to do with it. We found some we both loved in a micro-suede fabric that looks like weathered suede. They were quite expensive, but we love them and 'live' in them Wink

Also, we used to have a double recliner/loveseat that was maybe a bit 'cuter'.

Posts: 2775 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Look at transitional or contemporary recliners. Tho I don't have modern decor, I admired one years ago in a Danish furniture store. It was sleek in design and upholstered in a yummy shade of orange in a butter soft leather. Shop locally and try each recliner style to see if it suits you comfort level and stature. It must be noted that some recliners are difficult to push into a reclining position while others take little effort. Some take up less space in the reclined position (wall savers). Note too where your head hits. Some backs aren't as high as others. We like our heads resting on the back of our recliners.

Posts: 18394 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
A well made ergonomic recliner is so much better and lasts longer than what the uninformed public 'thinks' is more comfy when it looks like the Stay Puff ad puffy guy! People think that fluffy is better (fluffy does not last long before it is flat)

Love the examples shown on the other posts!

staypuff man

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
A well made ergonomic recliner is so much better and lasts longer than what the uninformed public 'thinks' is more comfy when it looks like the Stay Puff ad puffy guy! People think that fluffy is better (fluffy does not last long before it is flat)

Love the examples shown on the other posts!

LOL. Love the Stay-Puff Man. From "Ghost Busters" if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for the laugh!! But where do I sit? In his lap??? Wink

posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth - Fool me once ...
Yeah, it's taken me (more than a few) years to figure out that looks aren't everything. But I'm getting wiser and now know enough to do some research about quality of construction. Tired of throwing good money after bad (and bad furniture after bad). Figure it's about time to spend a little more to get a little more!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
It was my way of hinting at an 'over stuffed' chair not being a good buy, and I didn't want to offend anyone who might own one on this board....
Just an opinion... you see them for sale on CL all the time and most of the space where you sit is flattened!

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't offended and don't see why anyone else would be. Can't remember who posted the reply about the "Stay Puff" man, but it was pretty funny!

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I see that Joyluck has shown you some ideas for Contemporary recliners that don't look like recliners at all. Very goood ideas she's shown. If one does their own research, they can find a recliner to suit their particular taste, style, and price range. I do not think recliners are ugly as long as they suit the owner's taste and needs. Just do a quick google search for contemporary recliners, and you will find the ideas are endless. Good luck in your search for the "one" for you.

Posts: 8998 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Here's another recliner in disguise with a high back. Remember it's important to test a recliner before you purchase one and most manufacturers offer upholstery options.
http://www.rotmans.com/Item.as...3934&ItemNum=5897.25

Posts: 18394 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Though an initially pricy investment, Ethan Allen makes furniture to last. I speak from experience. Here are their current choices.

http://www.ethanallen.com/cate...b&category=recliners

Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
I have two recliners that look like club chairs and they are 12 years old and boy, do I need new ones, but don't see many at the furniture stores like these anymore. Mine are Lane. I like the ones shown, but I want to test them before I buy.

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check out the foot rest part. If not all one piece, can be uncomfortable for your legs. That is where checing out for your personal needs comes into play. If going to be used a great deal, go for comfort. JMHO

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6173 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post