Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  English tea set, need opinion (changed my mind, thanks)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

English tea set, need opinion (changed my mind, thanks) Sign In/Join 
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted
For those of you who are English or love English things:

Is this a souvenir set or legitimate English respected dishware?

On our Craigslist for $85
Just curious.
says:
In perfect condition.

- Set includes:
x1 Gravy Boat
x1 Sugar Bowl
x1 Tall Teapot
x6 Cups
x6 Saucers
x6 Plates

21 piece Vintage Queen's Castle Alfred Meakin set - $85

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm
*****We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are! ***** (Anaias Nin)***** http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

tea set

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not a souvenir set. There's a bit of the pattern for sale on eBay and very little available at Replacements.com. I couldn't find the age of the pieces in the quick research I did, but it appears that the Alfred Meakin name was used from the late 1800's up to the 1980's.

Posts: 1886 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gracie. I saw you post and went onto eBay and Replacements (high cost) and there was a dish set to match this for $795!
Hard to see what is worth what till you do research!
I liked the gray/brown with pale blue... thinking it over...

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm
*****We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are! ***** (Anaias Nin)***** http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Not a gravy boat...it's a creamer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7821 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I would assume, too, that it is the real deal. Just looking at it, I would assume that it's probably 50s, 60s?

Martha

Posts: 5894 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, do they show the maker's mark in the Craigslist ad? Here's a pic of one from some vintage plates listed online. It says they are detergent and acid resisting colour which means they are not *really* old (antique) because in 'the olden days' dishes were washed with soap and no one was concerned with whether they were detergent proof. The oldest transferware I have only has the pattern and manufacturer's name. The newest stuff will say 'dishwasher safe' and even 'microwave safe'.

It's a nice set and would be lovely displayed in a china cabinet altho unless you serve tea a lot most of it is not very useful I find. I have several tea sets that are never used but do look pretty! And that is a pretty pattern. Altho have to admit there are few transferware patterns I don't like! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
Is this a souvenir set or legitimate English respected dishware?

If it's really Queen's Castle Alfred Meakin it's as legitimate as dish sets get. I expect the same set is in many English homes and used daily for tea. Probably sold all over the world these days tho and many only displayed.

Edited to add: The set you are considering may have a different Maker's Mark as those changed over the years even when the pattern didn't. Dishes began to be made detergent, dishwasher, and microwave safe as this became necessary. This pic is from here in case you want some plates! Wink http://www.bonanza.com/listing...nner-Plates/10117742

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12725 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the great responses. Yes, she provided a photo of the markings. She called the set 'vintage' and not antique, so I am sure it is from the 60's or thereabouts.

Would be nice to have plates too, since I serve scones and treats with my tea time.

I am thinking of this type of thing (tea sets) now because the holidays are coming up and our children do not have tea time. I have a few tea pots and serve tea whenever I have company. The cooler weather makes me think of tea time too.

This is the tea pot so the edges are different (unglazed it looks like). same wording as one show above.

The wording could be off (about gravy boat) because where I live there are a lot of retired and their children come down to empty the estate when their parents are too ill to do it themselves, or pass on. So, sometimes the history of items are lost or not known.

I think I liked it because it reminds me of the transferware type tea sets I saw in Nova Scotia on the farm, has that rural quality to it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

tea set marking

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth I have a Koval's china markings book and I will look up when that marking was used.

I don't believe it is old and it is not a pattern that is too desirable. I believe the pot is a coffee pot, not tea.

Only you can decide if the price is right for you there are 29 pieces (count the lids) and divide that into $85 you have about $3 each.

If you love it is it worth it. If you feel questioning maybe it isn't.

Mary Ruth I did check this trademark and it was not in my book. Nor did replacements.com have any samples of this pattern.

the detergent warning is an indication of its age. Maybe '70's?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12587 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your research for me. I am going to pass. IF I really like something it is 'instant' and this just was not. That should tell me something! DH said, hey at a third that price he would check it out, but not that amount. LOL

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

posted Hide Post
This set may be older than you think. The words "Made in (country of origin)" weren't used until after 1914. Prior to that only the name of the country was stamped on the bottom. Kovel's is the most reliable source for information, though.

Posts: 804 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cavin!

Some of the farms I lived around had sets like this to serve tea and coffee in. They didn't own the gold plated stuff, but their tea and home baked goods were so good!

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

posted Hide Post
I think LOS is correct, that it is a coffee pot and not a tea pot. Teapots are usually squattier and rounder.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love it! I love transferware, and I love that set. However, I agree about the price. It sounds like you have already decided against it, but at half that price I would probably snap it up if I had a use for it.

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of victoriangirl
posted Hide Post
MR, it's a nice set. They have lots of different patterns in dishes like these. A popular one around here was the Friendly Village. The prices are not as high now as they once were. I can see where it would remind you of your childhood home though.

Keep looking. Do you have any flea markets around there? I know for me, I'd definetly want the dinner plates with it.

****Look at objects not only for what they are, but for what they could be, vg****

Posts: 6262 | Registered: Jun 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
VG,
I had located 6 dinner plates on eBay to go with them! But now have changed my mind once I saw brown transfer ware in other patterns! Now that I am on the look out I am sure I will find something!

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

Picture of victoriangirl
posted Hide Post
MR, like I said, I see these plates all the time. It is harder to find a complete set of anything but the plates are pretty easy to find. If you have a flea market, check it out. Our second hand stores often have them in. Even if they don't have a complete setting, if you keep looking, you will eventually find them.

****Look at objects not only for what they are, but for what they could be, vg****

Posts: 6262 | Registered: Jun 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks VG!

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
do check the underside marks...so many of the former fine bone china made in england pieces are now being produced in china! that includes lenox china, too...

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
sjf,
GOOD TO KNOW, thanks for the heads up!

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

posted Hide Post
Oh my gee, Mary Ruth, I just started following you on pinterest and it has totally changed my pinterest feed forever! In a very good way! It will take me awhile to wade through all the eye candy. (I'm posting this on this thread since it is your most recent thread, and I didn't want to start another one or highjack someone else's.)

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,
So HAPPY you are HAPPY! Eye candy is wonderful isn't it?

I search and pin when I am in a mood for certain items or features. Then when the topic comes up somewhere, if I have some photos saved, I share.

I love that most of the photos have their links so that it saves all the documentation and trying to match sources with photos.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

posted Hide Post
Nice collection above. When talking about gravy boat it refers to vessels which have been identified as being used for sauces since ancient times, the modern fashion for sauce boats probably derived from fashion in the late 17th century.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smith23,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post