Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Interesting finish.......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting finish....... Sign In/Join 
Picture of annie17
posted
I just saw this dresser and the finish caught my eye. Have you seen this finish b/4? It is interesting and yet I'm not sure I would use it.

The blogger indicated it was from a model home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annie17,

Posts: 7983 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
I think I would like it more if the blue color continued all the way through.

Posts: 512 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Me too. Would def use it that way.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Don't care for it. It looks unfinished to me. They should continue the blue all the way to the top imo....

Posts: 4701 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Michelle and Becky, I like a chippy paint look too.

lilsophie, it kind of looks like a lot of my projects, unfinished!

posted Hide Post
I hate it.
Sorry!
(running to my cave)

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate it.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

It's okay. Since it was a model I felt okay about posting it.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Annie, I'm having problems getting motivated all of the sudden for some reason. Frown
I sit here and read message boards and play games Frown

Posts: 4701 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I like it but I agree it looks unfinished. Like they started stripping it but got tired!!

I love distressed chippy furniture...I would like it with the paint all the way up too.

Posts: 9585 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I think that dresser 'As Is' will always be a conversation starter but in the wrong direction! You would always hear 'how is it going to look when it is finished'?

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
It seems to be one of those paint effects that seems like a novel and good idea at the time.

As it is a model home where it is displayed and can easily be changed or refinished, I think the concept is interesting and may lead to someone else's different interpretation!

Posts: 12600 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
It has a modified ombre effect which is currently a fashion trend.

Posts: 18675 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it just a front part of a dresser? It is not very deep.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6277 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I like the chest but am not a fan of the finish either. If it would work I'd be changing the drawers around to make it more uniform.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I think this is a good example of the power of a strong line. The contrast in color between the upper section of the dresser and the lower section strengthens the impact of the line.

Also the rest of the room is soft and refined, and the dresser, being so rustic, creates a super strong point of interest. That is about contrast also.

When I look at the photo I can barely take my eyes off the dresser. If I move my eyes to look at the other parts of the room, I am strongly drawn back to the dresser. My eyes always hit that line first, and then they circle around taking in the more refined elements, and I think they search for something in common with the dresser's rustic nature to connect to.

So just for the sake of a good conversation, how about we suspend the idea of liking it or not and what if we talk about whether the design element: "line" has been used to good effect here.

And then the design principle of "Emphasis". Do you think this is an effective point of interest for the room? Is the contrast between the piece and it's surrounding too great?

What about the principle of scale? Any thoughts?

Bonus question: if this was your client,and they absolutely wanted to keep the piece, what would you suggest to better integrate the piece into the room?

(I almost just deleted this because I realized I was kind of hi.jac.king your thread, annie17. If that offends you then please, everyone just ignore me.)

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Speaking of scale, I find the corner chair too small compared to the dramatic chest.

I, for one, find the chest an unexpected element that is definitely unique and memorable. I think every room could use such visible impact to set it apart. "Cookie cutters"are so common. Wink

Posts: 18675 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Coco, I'm just fine with your questions. I do agree with Froo that the chair seems too small.

I found the other side of the room.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annie17,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
The chair seems a little small to me too. Also the chair rail seems in a funny place. It cuts the wall in half. I like a 1/3 to 2/3 layout better usually.

To discuss my own questions...I think the line created between the painted and unpainted parts of the dresser is too strong for the room. And I think the rustic finish is too much for the room.

Separately, I love the dresser. I might use it in a more contemporary room, or in something more industrial.

To integrate the piece into the room I might suggest woven wood blinds on the windows, in the color of the exposed wood on the dresser, or maybe switching out the headboard to something wooden and more rustic.

What would the rest of you do? No wrong answers.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I love the other half of the room. I think it's so cute.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I really like this room especially since Annie showed the other side. I do agree with Froo Froo about the chair being a bit small. I also think a larger print(s) above the dresser would look better. Still not crazy about the finish of the dresser although with the headboard it seems to be more of a fit in the room. Cocok, when we built our home the rail was intentionally placed at the height as shown in this picture. The builder said it was wainscoting height.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
I think I must be missing the "chippy"geneSmile

the other side of the room is nice - love the headboard..

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9987 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other side of your room is so sweet.
Perhaps if you could consider making the entire dresser distressed blue, you'd have something unique but finished looking.
I too agree about the wainscoting being a bit higher than usual but I nitpick when I say that.
The room is adorable.
It's just that unfinished looking two-tone dresser that gets me.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
In my region the wainscoting is usually 2/3 also. I would either paint the dresser or replace it with a smaller size. That dresser is exactly the height of the wainscoting which also looks odd.

I totally forgot there was a pic of the bed side of the room when I posted the pic of the dresser. That tells me the dresser stuck out like a sore thumb!

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of the dresser finish. It looks unfinished. I'm also not a fan of the chippy peeling paint look. I don't mind some distressing but not the chippy look.

I find the entire room does not work for me. It has so many straight lines, rectangles, and squares. Maybe that is a design technique that appeals to some, but I don't care for it. The only places that the straight line technique appears to be broken is with the vignette of vases on the dresser, the round side table and lamp next to the "too small" chair in the corner, and lamps over the bed. Even the chair rail contributes to the straight line decorating. Not appealing to my eye. It was carried to the roman shade treatment as well. The tall rectangular vases on the night stands are so straight and unappealing. I also do not care for the design of the nightstands.

Adding more round, oval, curved lines to the room would be more interesting instead of so many straight lines. How's that for being opinionated!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paintlady,

Posts: 9010 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish the chair were larger. If the room was mine, the accessories on the dresser and on the nightstands would have to go and be replaced with something(s) else! Then with those too big vases on the nightstands gone, the nightstands themselves are too small for the size of the bed. I can't see myself buying the dresser, but if someone gave it to me, I'd like it well enough to decorate a bedroom around it.

Posts: 3410 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
looks unfinished to me and that would drive me crazy.

Posts: 4297 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
No, Annie, I've never seen a finish like that before - looks to me as if the refinisher gave up part way thru removing the old finish! ;D However I actually like the dresser altho wouldn't have it in my house, nor do I think it works in that room. To quote Cocok "I might use it in a more contemporary room, or in something more industrial". It's very different and I often like to see that as there are way too many rooms, especially on blogs, that look the same.

Overall, the room looks too staged - who could live with large floral arrangements on the small side tables!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12729 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Hi Lucky!! Wave

Apartment therapy had a story today about half finished furniture. Apparently it is a new thing....

posted Hide Post
Now that is ridiculous looking unless you are trying to demonstrate what the chair would look like with either finish!!! Big Grin

Posts: 3410 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed with sms29s66! That is totally ridiculous! The first one, I was kind of whatever about...could work with rustic, not crazy about it myself...agreed that it was out of scale with the room...but this one is just NO, not for me anyway...to each his/her own.

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I kind of like the chest.....but NOT the mirrors or the stuff on it!

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I am liking SOME of the 'dipped' looks out there, for example (photo attached) this stool looking 'dipped in gold' really classes up an ordinary stool. I like this look very much.

I have seen some very rustic pieces with legs dipped and they look good.

When products (like the tool handle dipping coating) improve and become easier to use with better drying time and lasting results, we will see more DIY'ers using them for projects. NICE to see FRESH ideas used for using something we might not think of done by the brave DIY'ers!

And of course that look is done with ordinary paint, but looks dipped! Smile

stool dipped

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that chair Annie! I love it! IMO it goes very well with the patchwork quilt. It's one of those very quirky things that is unexpected and can be a real conversation piece. Probably takes some courage to use tho which those who are more traditional don't have. I do not want to have a 'cookie-cutter' house so like to use a few unusual things.

Mary Ruth, those stools are very attractive and perhaps easier for less adventurous decorators to use as they are quite refined.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12729 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
LOL. I think it's hideous as is the half-finished new trend. But then I tend to be very traditional, and never found shabby chic appealing for myself-SO, to each her-own. Differences are what gives each person individual character. Smile

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I like the gold dipped stools that Mary Ruth posted, but the other two half n'half pieces need to decide either way...painted or unfinished.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7414 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Wow, the chair got worse reviews than the dresser! Big Grin Lucky, I'm glad you liked it. I do love the dipped legs, both on stools like Mary Ruth posted and dressers like this...

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I love the white dresser and gold dipped legs. Very cute Smile
My MIL has a dresser simiilar, not painted like that. It's a real old dresser...Hmmm maybe I can take it off her hands LOL

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
The home in which the dresser is in is featured today in House of Turquoise blog

http://www.houseofturquoise.com/

Posts: 3267 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Thanks Becky! I thought you meant the dipped dresser but it was fun to see the rest of the house with the half-painted dresser!!

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Heh heh.....sorry......I tend to abbreviate what I'm trying to say on the tablet. Smile