Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Revisiting wax over polyurethane...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revisiting wax over polyurethane... Sign In/Join 
Picture of KG in CA
posted
DH built a new computer desk, painted it with Valspar Signature paint, finished it with Valspar Signature Clear Coat. Just how long SHOULD it take for the finish to cure? It is dry, it doesn't smear, but I told him he has to be patient & not use it yet. After 7 days I tested it by placing a moderate weight piece on it overnight. Sure enough, paint came off when I lifted the test piece. I was also wondering if this piece could eventually be waxed.

Suggestions????? TIA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KG in CA,

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7516 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
The general rule for usage of furniture after top coating is 2-3 weeks. This should allow for adequate time to cure. It's best to have it curing in a non humid environment.

I'm not sure about your question on waxing over a piece that has polyurethane on it. Is that what you're asking? If so, why would you want to wax over poly? I'm sorry that I can't answer that question. Hopefully someone can come along and answer this for you.

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Actually,, the waxing part was so that I could tell my DH what not to do. He sometimes goes cleaning and uses products I would never use...I guess I had in the back of my head that I could set him straight before hand. Anyway...

The desk has been sitting in the room it will be used in. I will test it again at the end of the month Cool Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KG in CA,

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7516 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you are supposed to wax over polyurethane. I bought a table that I suspect was polyurethaned. When I tried to was it, it just made a smeary mess so I will have to remove it one of these days. Doesn't show now because I have a tablecloth over it but one of these days I will clean off the table and remove the tablecloth. That's when I'll have to remove the wax.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
The general rule for usage of furniture after top coating is 2-3 weeks. This should allow for adequate time to cure. It's best to have it curing in a non humid environment.

Thanks Rita, We are concerned because the top of the sea chest still feels kind of "sticky" (linseed oil/shellac) it is humid now.

Posts: 12695 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post