Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Wish I had a closet to spare....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wish I had a closet to spare.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of annie17
posted
I just love that some bloggers are doing with their entry closets. Isn't this cute?

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Adorable. I have no spare closets. Sure wish I did.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Clever use indeed. What a blessing it would be to have extra closets. This example also expands the narrow entryway.

We once converted one of two closets, in my then preschool son 's room, to a desk space. These days mine are brimming so I have to make use of dead space (different house) .

Posts: 18398 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
That's very pretty, but would only work (for me) if we didn't use that entry - too much "stuff" to hide!

One of my bigger regrets with the kitchen remodel (maybe the only regret) is that we didn't tear the shelves out of the closet in the laundry and convert it to a coat and/or broom closet. would not have been hard to do and so much needed...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 2966 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think it is a great idea! But . . . I'd never have the spare closet!!!!

Martha

Posts: 5410 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
oh I like that...of course anything with beadboard, I love!!

Posts: 9432 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Yes, the the beadboard is great and on the horizontal.

I used it in my recent kitchen/bath redo and it really adds a cottage vibe. Wish I had thought of running it sideways.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Well those are charming and delightful displays.

However that is key charming and delightful displays. doesn't need to be in a closet. Look around your own homes and see what nook or cranny can be equally enhanced!

Posts: 12180 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
love it! I hate our entry..one of those that go straight in, with the stairs in your face!

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Cute, but rather impractical IMHO! It looks nice, but where do you actually put coats, shoes, boots, and all of the assorted paraphernalia that usually hide in a closet?
Confused

It reminds me of something one would see in a model home or designer show house, not an actual home where people really live.

Again, very cute, but.....JMHO
Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
This idea would be better in a back entry vs a formal main entry. I. Have such a narrow entry coming off our garage. It has a long shallow closet similar to the one pictured. I. Have a space saving small bench in that hallway. The bench seat flips up for storage. I can not spare that closet or bench currently, but this conversion would deglfinitly open it up. The hooks behind the bench could serve to hang hats, scarves, umbrellas, coats. A storage bench could house shoes/boots.

Posts: 18398 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Trudi
posted Hide Post
Very clever!

Posts: 2042 | Location: N.C. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, it does appear to be typical model-home style. It would definitely enhance the feeling of spaciousness but not be terribly practical.

Good idea to borrow some of the concepts for another space instead of losing a much needed hall/coat closet.

JMHO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Love it!

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post