Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  sea chest finished
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sea chest finished Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
DH finished repairing/refinishing the antique sea chest we found at town transfer station.

He had to make a replacement top and we bought the wood at a specialty wood place (cost about $70.) It was supposed to be 10" wide but in working on it DH discovered it was only 9" wide after a while!

We could see the outline of the original escutcheon and it was heart shaped. Tried to find one, no luck, so DH bought some brass at hardware store and cut the replacement (using wood indentation as pattern)

He also decided to make the rope handles but is dissatisfied with these so will remake.

He scrubbed, stripped, sanded and then gave 6 or 7 coats of shellac then two coats of French polish (shellac & linseed oil, rubbed in)

We had hoped to keep original finish but it was just too rough.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12140 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are very pleased with the way it looks in this place so will use it.

posted Hide Post
Here is a rope handle.

It could take up to a week to make one of these if done to perfection.

posted Hide Post
This is what DH would like to do.

$525 a pair.

posted Hide Post
Nice job!!! I'd love to have a chest...maybe someday Smile

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!! It's perfect for that spot, and your DH did a great job!

Posts: 4021 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love your husband's preferred handles but think the rope ones will be very suitable for that chest. Is the leather sofa in the picture the replacement for the lovely but uncomfortable one?

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for posing the pictures of your beautiful chest. You husband has great talent and skill. It is just beautiful. I could happily live with his version of the handles.

Posts: 1615 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LOVE the chest! Maybe you can repost a photo of the handle he made, for some reason two are as if highlighted so they are foggy. Thanks!

Love the look of the finish and the way the heart shaped escutcheon came out!

I like the handles your DH would love to do, BUT the rope ones are also so neat looking and I am sure work great!

I love that whiskey color on wood, and it works great with black and white as well! Great job!!!

Posts: 9527 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
LOS -- what a great chest! You took "trash" and made it into treasure! How wonderful! Wouldn't you like to know the history of the piece? I'm in awe!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Oh my word! That is one stunning piece!

Maine Lady

Posts: 5722 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
LOS,

You have certainly given new life to that chest. It looks like it belongs right there. Glad you and DH were able to rescue it.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9319 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your first picture looks right out of a magazine. Kudos to your husband (and you) for having the vision to turn a forlorn chest into a great addition to your home.

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful piece! It looks fantastic in your space, and it has such character! I love it.

Posts: 8997 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Love it LOS!, your husband is very talented... the entire room looks very pretty!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is beautiful. I love the little key plate you made for it too!

Are the Hydrangeas from your garden? Very pretty, wish we had those...

Posts: 2958 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
LOS, this chest is absolutely stunning. I was trying to find the original pic you posted but can't locate it! I love your room.

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you all so much for your kind, appreciative comments!

I knew DH would like this as a project because he does like working with wood (violin, bows, half hull models etc) as well as clay and stone!

the handles he would like are also made out of rope but obviously many notches up!

He has made those rope bracelets that kids like to wear that are sold near the seashore. And we have a door mat he made out of rope.

The other day he looked at that doormat and said what a talented guy he was! He said he should be called "Martin Stewart" He is also quite a wag!

The only downside to a man like him is that there is very little "down" time in his life. And he abhors idle chit chat! Unlike his wife!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the leather sofa in the picture the replacement for the lovely but uncomfortable one?

Yes, and that is now jammed into the d.r. along with the table the chest replaces!

DD comes up in a week and I will know the final resolution of this. Meanwhile spoke to a dealer about buying it.

JC the hydrangeas are from our garden. I prefer the blue but our bush this year only had one bloom.

posted Hide Post
What an excellent job of refinishing trunk. The patina is gorgeous. Your DH must be like the Energizer bunny- he keeps on going and going.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Your DH has done a wonderful job on this T2T chest! The finish looks very nice and the escutcheon is really special. Hope you will post the rope handles when they meet his approval. How are his 'macrame' skills? Big Grin

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12593 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
wow..

the piece is simply stunning. amazing the beauty ya'll brought to it..

applause applause. take a bow- you deserve too.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
if you don't sell? hope you do like my sister did...she filled it with kid "treasure"...she had fake jewels, coins, and other things that would keep the grands busy....my neice still keeps it filled...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We don't plan on selling this SJF. It is here for good! Our grandkids are too old for toys now but I have always liked the idea of burying a "treasure chest" for children.

In fact I have a growing jewelry collection on my dressing table! But these will be for my sisters grandchildren.

Our sea chest will hold blankets and throws for the wintertime.

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
That looks fabulous...I had a trunk before that I used as coffee table (Costplus) nothing antique or vintage. LOVE that look of that.

I may have missed the post, but is that your new sofa I see behind the trunk??

Your whole space looks amazing LOS. Now I want a trunk again too!!

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
is that your new sofa I see behind the trunk??

Yep, Always, we got this leather sofa at our favorite salvage/surplus store for just a tad under $500. It is super comfortable and fits the space nicely. I had been looking for literally years. New furniture is very big these days as you know! We needed slightly smaller.

posted Hide Post
Love the sea chest, your DH did a great job on it.

Posts: 204 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
you mentioned dh not caring for the rope handles. wonder if you dipped the rope in a strong tea solution it might "age" them?

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I must have missed the "before" but it looks really nice, whatever you did to it Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Wwanda, the "before" picture is on the Trash to Treasure board. The topic title is "refurbishing a real antique".

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
you mentioned dh not caring for the rope handles

Hi SJF, his complaint is not with the rope (which is authentic for a sea chest) but with his work on the rope! Actually I just found out these handles are called "beckets" He is the sort of person who studies a lot in his interests and will teach himself to make the nicer ones.

But your suggestion is similar to what he did with the metal parts of these "beckets" he distressed them to age the metal. Thank you sjf!

posted Hide Post
Somehow I missed your post but am I ever glad I found it. My son sent me a picture of an old chest he found at a second hand store and wanted to know if I knew how he could restore it. He plans to set his tv on it in the family room. I am sending him the information you shared, so thank you very much.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
so thank you very much.

You are more than welcome Frances! One word of caution, since this was finished with shellac and French polish, we are finding it more difficult to have it dry completely. Yesterday I put a wooden clock on the chest and when I removed it about 10 hrs later the "feet" marks remained. Don't know if this would happen with poly but doubt it.