Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Holmes on Homes
  Electrical(?) Smell in Wall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical(?) Smell in Wall Sign In/Join 
posted
We've been trying to identify the cause of what smells electrical in a wall near the dining room in our old house built in 1911. The smell has been there for a long time, at least 6 years. The house has been renovated by others over the years and we had the knob & tube wiring replaced about 3 years ago.

We've had 2 electricians and the fire department come to test the wiring and (dining) light switch where the smell seems strongest, but so far, none can find a cause: the wiring tests okay, and a heat camera didn't reveal any issues, but the smell persists regardless of whether the power is on or we're using the switch. One of the firemen thought it smelled more like a dead mouse, but that smell is different and usually disappears after 6 weeks.

Sometimes the smell seems stronger when the light is in use. But not always.

Even over Christmas when we were away and the light switch was off, there was still a noticeable odor from the switch/ wall.

Any suggestions for determining the smell i.e. if its electrical or its source?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that there was a small fire or smoldering there in the past and the smell from the charring comes out at certain times like when there is rain or heavy humidity?

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I think that Chuck Steak has a possible reason for the cause of the odor, and it's transient reappearance.
Ghosting out of odors when the humidity is higher is also common for pet urine too.

Posts: 9656 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:
Is it possible that there was a small fire or smoldering there in the past and the smell from the charring comes out at certain times like when there is rain or heavy humidity?

Not any fire since we've owned the house, but possibly before. I've wondered that myself. What you say about humidity and rain is an interesting thought. Not sure if there's been a variation due to this but I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
Ghosting out of odors when the humidity is higher is also common for pet urine too.

Good point - thanks.