Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Holmes on Homes
  Rooms over garage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rooms over garage Sign In/Join 
posted
My rooms over my garage are hot in summer and cold in winter. I moved into home in May 2011 and we built it. What can I do to improve this situation. We live in Michigan

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Insulate.
Ceiling, Walls and under flooring would be a start.
Check your local recommendations for the Rvalues for your zipcode. OwensCorning and other insulation sites will have this information.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
If you have forced air HVAC the system may need to be balanced to get more air to your second floor. Around here we generally have two HVAC systems in 2 story homes over 2000 square feet, especially if they were built in the last 15 or 20 years.

My last house had a single "gas pack" system and the second floor was always too hot in the summer and chilly in the winter. Current house has 2 systems and we can keep both exactly where we want them.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post