Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Holmes on Homes
  How to Be On & Talk to Mike
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Be On & Talk to Mike Sign In/Join 
Picture of HGTVAdmin
posted
Holmes on Homes is a syndicated series produced in Canada, and at this time project locations are limited to Toronto, Ontario and surrounding regions.

If you have questions for Mike Holmes, the best way to contact him is through the CONTACT US link on his website at the following link.

http://makeitright.ca/Information/contact_us.php

We would also encourage you to check into the many elements of his site that may provide you with answers to your question(s), such as the FORUM, which is a good place to get advice from homeowners, handy people and professional contractors across the country. You can join for free and receive access to monthly newsletters, featured articles, exclusive photos, videos, downloads and much more at http://makeitright.ca/.

Homeowners, such as you, are often an important part of a number of other HGTV programs. To view the list of show producers currently taking submissions and find information on how to apply, visit the following link to the Be on HGTV page.

Be On HGTV
http://www.hgtv.com/on-tv/be-on-hgtv/index.html

You may also want to visit our sister network, DIY, to review their list of opportunities as well.

Be On DIY
http://www.diynetwork.com/tv-s...be-on-diy/index.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HGTVAdmin,

HGTV Admin

Posts: 1309 | Registered: Sep 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So tell me about regulation of home inspections in the United States. My son is a member of the armed forces. He recently bought a house in Florida. The home was inspected twice because he used his government loan option. Once by the bank inspector and once by a government inspector. How did both miss that there was only electricity in half of the house, the pool pump was inoperable because the electric line to it was cut up and buried in the back yard, and the structural integrity of the home was compromised due to a well entrenched nest of termites in the attic. I will also mention that the government inspector made the previous owners open access to the attic that had been nailed shut but did not mention that some of the support beams had been destroyed. He has now been deployed over seas, his wife has just has their first baby and the home he thought he would be providing for them is a money pit and sill unlivable for his family. He has not told me and his father all of what is wrong because we cannot help them. Is there anyone who can?

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am writing in regards to my daughter Erin who is 31 years old. She purchased a town home almost two years ago all by he self.
When she purchased the home it needed some work. Prior to moving in she took out the cottage cheese ceiling replaced the floors with hard wood and carpet, changed all the doors and painted the entire place. She has three small bedrooms and two baths upstairs. She was going to change out one of the bathrooms and used a guy who was a friend of a friend who did great work. Big mistake. She paid for all the tile and paid him for most of the work. Well needless to say after two years she still can not use her shower. He did such a bad job that she had a licensed contractor come in to look at it and he said if you were to use this it could leak and ruin your floor, walls ect.He also damaged her new carpet put a whole in the wall broke her new toilet ( the tile on the floor was so crooked it cracked the toilet) She has a renter to help with costs but still can't afford to re-do the bathroom again so it just sits. The original guy also took her to court because she had not paid him in full. Needless to say he lost but there was no point in her suing him because he worked under the table and has no real job. I am hoping that you could help her she is a great girl and worked really hard to get this place. Thanks for taking the time to read this letter. Erin's Mom

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will try to make this very long story as short as possible...I have a dear friend named Pam. Six years ago my friend's husband was diagnosed with lung cancer. Soon after, he decided they would do some financial reorganizing and paid cash for a new home in a small, rural neighborhood so when he was gone she would not soon have to worry about repairs and he felt his family would have a good roof over their heads. He passed the following year. Then Pam was diagnosed with breast cancer, went through the routine of chemo and radiation along with a double mastectomy. I'm happy to say she is currently cancer free! During all of this her son, who is now 16, has dealt with his share of depression and issues with school all of which has put even more on her.
Several months ago she noticed that the front corners of her foundation were cracked and sagging, there was a large crack up the wall, her small front walkway and porch are crooked and many other things she could better describe. In January the builder finally came to put some kind of support beneath the corners which did raise them back to where they were but now other areas are "sinking". She also has a large gap between the concrete and the base of the wall...from the garage you can see clearly into her livingroom.
Pam is again contacting the builder and has had a visit from a nice female representative or some sort but neither Pam or myself are convinced this will solve the problem.
Please let me know that you can help! Otherwise I feel she will watch her home crumble around her.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 85 year old father needs help. His 100 year old Chicago home suffered a fire last year. There are so many discrepancies in the repair work. He is unable to use his bathtub for bathing; the gas stove connection does not allow an adequate flame; whenever water is used from any faucet there is a gasping noise; and the ventilation system distributes soot throughout the house. The fire adjusters have stopped answering his calls and letters. He is a veteran that has served in both the Korean Conflict and War II, he deserves to be heard and respected. Can you please help him?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, we are in dire need of basement waterproofing insight. We bought a 9 year old house that was inspected by both an inspector recommended by the realtor and a military inspector.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of brandon6984
posted Hide Post
mr homes how are you we watch your tv show and we just love you we bought this home in north las vegas over a year ago and the inspeciton said it was good and all but over some time things started looking bad like the bath room tiles fell off the wall and the wall started coming down o my god you should of seen it well we end up fixing it but the bath rooms are a mess and the other rooms as well from plumimng to everthing needs to be fixed up not just 1 room but the hole home it self we just love for you to come out to vegas and see this place i know you can help us turn this place in too a dream home or a best on the block where it would make peoples heads turn and see how beautiful it is in side and out and i know your just the person for the job can you help use well even let you stay here till the job is done w a home cooked meals and we love you for ever please please pretty please w suger on it let use know if you like to help us

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HGTVAdmin,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please have Mike Holmes take a look at our property in Maryland, which has so much potential. If is not possible to get Mike Holmes, can we get the USA's cloned version of Mike Holmes.?

posted Hide Post
Hi Mike Holme we need you in Ct.to take a look at my house in Hamden it wsa made in 1945 and the owner when we bouther i think they were little people and it have so many mistake in my kitchen we only got one cabinet and the sink is on the on the other side of were the stove is and in the baseman everythime i go i bump my head with the colum of the heaters that big furnish that is oil. Mike realy iam very desperate with this house please we need you here in Hamden CT.and let us know if you like to help me i try but my back dont let me thank you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
please help Im trying to reach mike holms I need some help badly

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am trying desperately to win the Mike Holmes sweepstake for a home makeover. I know there is no such a prize at this moment, but I would realy like to be the first sweepstake prize winner, especially if I am the first to suggest this contest. STILL TRYING TO GET MIKE'S ATTENTION. Really need your expertise in Accokeek, Maryland

posted Hide Post
Please read the original statement. You cannot contact Mike through this message board. The best option is to follow the above instructions and go to his webpage. I'm guessing that he only works in Canada, but you never know. In the meantime, please understand that HGTV stars rarely visit these message boards. They're simply for the use of HGTV viewers who are looking for others who share their interests.

Posts: 60 | Registered: May 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tweetygirl:
Hi Mike Holme we need you in Ct.to take a look at my house in Hamden it was made in 1945 and the owner when we bougther i think they were little people and it have so many mistake in my kitchen we only got one cabinet and the sink is on the on the other side of were the stove is and in the baseman everythime i go i bump my head with the colum of the heaters that big furnish that is oil. Mike realy iam very desperate with this house please we need you here in Hamden CT.and let us know if you like to help me i try but my back dont let me thank you.
for more inf. 203-691-0949 my email is rodriguez_alma@hotmail.com please i need help pplllleeeeeeeeeeeassseeee

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch Holmes on Homes every week. I have a very serious question that I need advice on for my mom's house. Just don't know where to go for help and I know Mike will know,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueyed:
I watch Holmes on Homes every week. I have a very serious question that I need advice on for my mom's house. Just don't know where to go for help and I know Mike will know,

Read the first post by the HGTV Admin in this thread. You won't get an answer from Mike posting a question here.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6976 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dear mr Holmes,
I love your show so much that I want to to become a home inspector so my question to you is what home base course can I take to become a home inspector because Las Vegas Nevada needs them I am in the proccess of buying a home.
My email is twogoodpainter@yahoo.com would love to here from you.

thank you
John

ps I am devoted to your show every sunday night

This message has been edited. Last edited by: twogoodpainter,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
John, Welcome to the Boards. Mike Holmes doesn't keep up with our Message Board but I will give you a link to his Facebook Page. You can leave a message there and Mike says that his team reads the Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/make.it.right.mike

Hope this helps. Marylee

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Andiegirl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brazierdenmath:
My 85 year old father needs help. His 100 year old Chicago home suffered a fire last year. There are so many discrepancies in the repair work. He is unable to use his bathtub for bathing; the gas stove connection does not allow an adequate flame; whenever water is used from any faucet there is a gasping noise; and the ventilation system distributes soot throughout the house. The fire adjusters have stopped answering his calls and letters. He is a veteran that has served in both the Korean Conflict and War II, he deserves to be heard and respected. Can you please help him?

Please contact your father's Community Board. This is a group that represents their region and they will be able to recommend someone to help, or supply you with a list of resources for your Dad. My father also fought in the same wars as your dad, including Viet Nam. Your father is a hero and does deserve respect for all he did for our country. I pray this will help you.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post