Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Holmes on Homes
  Leaky Basement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaky Basement Sign In/Join 
posted
Purhased a completely renovated home (just a wall was kept from original home) in Toronto in October 2012. Well, Spring came around and we noticed soe dampness on he basement walls. This has continued and now most of he wall are wet. Contacted my lawyer and he seems too busy and perhaps clueless as to what i must do next in contacting the revious owner/builder i purchased from. Question, is there any type of warranty that will accompany a 99% new home? Does the builder have any obligations? Shoud the city of Toronto inspectors have noted any shotty work re: weeping tiles, sub pumps etc? Neighbours says the builder did a bad job with the gravel, dirt round the foundations (i canT verify this). Had a local basement repair guy say this will cost big **$ to fix.
What can i do?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dear mr homes I leave in a home that was built in 1840, and the basement was built with what I have been told is ceriamc tile blocks. they are cracking and leaking in water and mud in my basement every timeit rains . as I have contacted 3 different companys to find out the best way to correct this mess I have one says he has to jack up th back of my home to corecc this problem but wont be resondsable for any cracked walls or windows damage, one say to dig around my foundation and make a new wall and spay it with some rubber coating, the other stillis depading how they can get the job done. my husband died in feburary of this year, so iam realy not sure which diredtion I should go if yo could just give me some good advice as how it should propyl fixed would help me I not have a lot of money to spend so I don't want to waste what I have by doing it wrong and have a bigger problem later thank you so muchfor any information you can give me Christine l edwards

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post