Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Holmes on Homes
  Distressful Lack of Recycling on this show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Distressful Lack of Recycling on this show Sign In/Join 
Picture of Castle dweller
posted
Watched Holmes during breakfast today as we do every Sunday. Once again, perfectly good fixtures and materials were removed and senselessly heaved into a dumpster just to film them breaking. People are struggling now and doing a lot of DIY projects. I know how expensive that new shower glass is and someone building their own new shower stall would have been delighted to find that new large piece of tempered glass on either Craigslist or at a salvage yard. All Holmes reused was the door. The rest was smashed. A very disappointing waste and addition to the local dump. Please start showing some environmental concern and give someone else a chance to reuse. Otherwise, we love the show.

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida | Registered: Dec 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Common complaint about many shows on HGTV and DIY and their competition at TLC when they actually did shows on home improvement.

I think the worst show for this was "Moving Up" on TLC. I'd seen them trash a perfectly good kitchen that was a couple of years old because the new owners didn't like it. I've hit my local Habitat Reuse store and those cabinets they threw into a dumpster would have brought in thousands of dollars to Habitat for Humanity. It isn't that much harder to remove them without destroying them, the key is to use a cordless drill rather than a sledge hammer.

Having shopped at my local Reuse store I can say most of the stuff they get could have been trashed instead. It is rare that they get a really nice set of kitchen cabinets that I'd use for anything other than organizing my garage.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6930 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
noticed on this old house (pbs) did use a recycler on the last couple of projects...

sad thing i can see them smashing out our box cabinets we put together ourselves...most of them are pressed wood with a veneer

Posts: 8518 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it is better to buy new. In this particular case I think either sourcing better products or buying new should have been used.

I am sure many people like how this bathroom looks but I think it looks ghastly. That slight brown tinge puts me right off.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post