Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Holmes on Homes
  A/C is financially draining
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A/C is financially draining Sign In/Join 
posted
Without the A/C on we use approximately $3.00 a day in electricity (we get a report from our electric co-op). With the A/C on set at 78 degrees it cost approximately $14 - $18 a day. The outside unit has been checked for Freon and correct amperage. It has been cleaned every season. The inside unit is in the attic and has been checked for coil condition, Freon leaks, and duct leaks. Additional insulation had been added when we bought the house in 2010. BTW the house is 2450 sq. ft. The living room, kitchen, and dining room are open floor. We use ceiling fans in every room we occupy. The attic fan cuts on at 120 degrees and keeps the attic about 119 degrees. We have had three companies check this unit, however, they are not trust worthy as each one started selling us a new unit as soon as they rang the door bell. Does anyone have any clues as to why the AC runs all the time to keep the house tolerable (barely)? Thanks in advance!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steven Knott,

Posts: 1 | Location: Montgomery, Al | Registered: Jul 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Might not be large enough unit for the square footage? If two story or spread out some opt for actually two units instead of just one.

Electric prices can vary a lot with your location and supplier too. Closing drapes on sunny side of house (east to west as the day goes by), and insulated shades as well as any other type of window covering can really help.

One thing we found, (not AC related) when we started swapping out light bulbs (both incandescent and spiral florescent (for 7.5 watt LEDs), our electric went down 20-30 per month. Well worth it for us.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could also set your temperature higher. We never set ours lower than 79 or 80*. With the ceiling fans that is quite comfortable.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw something on This Old House. I did not see the whole thing but at the end they did say that an oversized A/C unit is bad. It is better to have undersized rather than oversized. Something to check into and check out.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
metwo is right, it can be either over or under sized and tend to use more energy.

What are your neighbors paying for similar size homes, might be a question to answer?

We have a smaller home in NE, 1500 sq feet with another 1500 in finished basement. We run our central air at 78 during the day, and 73 at night for sleeping. We have a ten year old efficient HVAC with a two speed fan. We run the furnace fan to recirculate 24/7, but it runs on a slower speed when the compressor is not on. Our total electric is about 100 dollars/month during the summer months, depending on the weather. But local electric rates do vary too, as I mentioned.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We're thankful for the cooler temps this year. It keeps the energy bill lower. When I mentioned to my neighbor about getting a window ac unit for our bedroom - why cool the whole house at night when only one room is used - she tried to discourage me from it. I have noticed the individual room ac units in the newer homes. This must be an idea other people are having,too.

Recently, HGTV had a poll on things you do to keep cool. I try to run the DW/washer & dryer at night when the temps drop. We keep our windows on the west side covered to keep the heat out. Outdoor work in the cool of the morning.

There are other things I'd give up before an A/C room.

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post