Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Holmes on Homes
  Drywall tape coming loose
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drywall tape coming loose Sign In/Join 
posted
I bought this house 5 years ago. The previous owners shingled over the roof, removing the ridge vent. At inspection I noticed no roof vents. They put 3 roof vents in as a response to the inspection. The house is 2000 sq feet with a approx 500 sq ft garage off the back. Since that time, the paper tape in the garage and on the cathedral ceiling in my livingroom is starting to come down. In the garage where it wasn't painted, it is just shedding off. In the house, it looks horrible because of the paint and texture -- like there was a leak. Since the ceilings are very high here (right up to the roof peak) I do not want to fix it until I know the cause. I'm thinking that they either didn't put the vents in correctly or there are not enough on the house (none on the garage) and it is getting too hot in the attic space.
I've had 3 roofers come out to look at it, requesting new vents or to put the ridge vent back in. None have even called back after coming over for an estimate. I'm getting worried that this is causing more damage than I can afford to fix.
Do you think this is a problem with ventilation and condensation building in the attic? What is my best course of action? How can I convince someone to come fix my roof? And inside, I have no idea how to fix the ceiling except to take down all that tape, reapply and then try to match the texture. What a mess. Frown
Thanks for any suggestions.

Posts: 1 | Location: Bloomington, IL | Registered: Dec 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards. For future reference this would be better posted in the remodeling section. Mike Holmes doesn't monitor this board or provide answers, only other viewers read it.

Do you know how old the roof is? We know it is at least 5 years old because the previous owner did it before you moved in, but how long before you moved in was it installed? If the roof is pushing 10 years I'd bet the roofers don't want to touch it because the shingles are getting brittle so they start messing with it and they are likely to cause leaks.

I don't think your drywall seam issue is related to the roof, but I could be wrong. It likely is caused by improper installation.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the removal of the ridge vent is at the root of your problem, especially in your living room. Each bay between the rafters on both sides of the roof had an outlet throught the ridge vent, now only three of the bays are vented. That humidity has to go somewhere so it is dampening the back side of the ceiling sheetrock and working its way through to the inside. Replacing a ridge vent on a completed roof is a big job and it may be impossible to match the roof material. Good luck.

Posts: 732 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:
I think the removal of the ridge vent is at the root of your problem, especially in your living room. Each bay between the rafters on both sides of the roof had an outlet throught the ridge vent, now only three of the bays are vented. That humidity has to go somewhere so it is dampening the back side of the ceiling sheetrock and working its way through to the inside. Replacing a ridge vent on a completed roof is a big job and it may be impossible to match the roof material. Good luck.

I think he is going to need the luck :O

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 732 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post