Message Boards


  • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
walls Sign In/Join 
I am looking for assistance with our family room. The siding is buckling. It appears the walls are saging or shrinking down. The one wall appears to be bulging out as there is a 2 inch gap between a section of the wall and the electric baseboard heater. The previous owners added this room onto the house and we fear it was not professionaly built. We plan to redo this room but before we do I want to make sure we correct what ever it is that is causing the walls to sage and bulge. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can e-mail me at

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frustrated in Ohio,
Posts: 1 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
No one can tell from what you've posted what your issue is with the wall. You need someone on the ground to come and inspect your home. Contrary to popular opinion especially around Toronto, ON, Canada (Home of Holmes) there are competent home inspectors elsewhere.

Holmes doesn't read these boards, and doesn't work in the US. I suggest talking with friends, family and/or a real estate agent to see if anyone knows a good inspector or structural engineer. I'd probably start with a structural engineer to get an opinion on what is wrong and what a solution would be rather than starting with a contractor. You could also consult Angie's List for recommendations.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata    HGTV Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows  Hop To Forums  Holmes on Homes    walls