HGTV Message Boards
sewer smell in the shower drain

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1581061534/m/2653932267

Aug 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
7cfw
sewer smell in the shower drain
I hope someone have the answer? Had bought this house 8 yrs ago. Recently, about two months ago, sewer gas smell comes up in our bedroom shower. I tried pouring; bleach, liquid plumber, baking soda/vineger, water down the roof vent....NOTHING WORKS. Although the bleach keeps the smell someone under control; but the stink comes back. It stinks. Got to fix it soon.
Aug 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
Chuck Steak
Does that shower get used? If not used often the water in the trap is evaporating and not providing the seal that keeps the sewage gas from rising into the house; easy fix, pour a quart of water down the drain a couple of times a week. If the shower gets used, there may be a blockage in the vent pipe that is supposed to take the gas out through the roof. I'd look into reexamining any work that was done shortly before the smell first was noticed.
Aug 20, 2012, 08:35 AM
Sparky
Agree with Chuck, if it gets used regularly I'd bet you have a blockage in your vent system. You might also want to take off the drain cover and clean the gunk that accumulates on the drain pipe above the water line.

Is the trap remaining full of water? You should always be able to see water in the trap from above.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Aug 20, 2012, 09:04 AM
7cfw
I really appreciate the replies. Yes the shower is used all the time. Its in our master bedroom. There is water in the p-trap of the shower. Nothing is stopped up. All the toilets and showers work. I even re-install the wax ring in the toilet. Ok, if you said the roof vent is stopped up, how do I fix it? Already used a spray nozzle with the water hose. What else?
Aug 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
Sparky
CFW,
When you say you used the spray nozzle did you run water in the vent pipe from the roof? Did the water drain freely?

One of these might help: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/clogbusters.html

If the vent is partially blocked. I'm not a plumber so you may have exceeded my knowledge on DWV (drain, waste, venting) systems. I'll try Googling the subject to see if I can come up with anything else. The water in the trap should keep the sewer smells out of bathroom and up the vent pipe.

Upon researching it one person on another forum thought they had a sewer gas problem, it turned out to be a dead animal in their attic. Other than that the suggestions so far have been in line with Chuck's comments and my comments. Are you getting a gurgling sound out of any drains or is your toilet having issues flushing?

The gunk that collects in your drains can get a smell to it as well. I use vinegar and baking soda to clear it out of our bathroom drains a couple of times a year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Aug 21, 2012, 01:20 AM
Chuck Steak
Always love a good mystery...is this bathroom on a slab, upstairs or over a crawl space? If upstairs, is there a seldom used bathroom, laundry or utility room below it that may have a dry trap? If there's a crawl space below has it been checked for plumbing breaks or dead animals? Was any work done anywhere nearby that may have cracked a vent pipe? Do you have city sewers or a septic system? Did you do as Sparky suggested send water down the vent pipe from the roof and did you do it long enough to see if you had water in the house you weren't expecting or water sounds after you shut off the hose?

Can you be certain the odor is emanating from the shower drain or is there just a general smell in the room? I once was at what was supposed to be a designer show house opening in three days and there was a noticeable odor growing in this 8,000 sq ft house that no one could locate. Some thought it was from flower vase water in the sunroom, some were checking drains because the house wasn't occupied and dry traps were a real possibility. Everybody had a theory, nobody an answer. While someone was checking the seal in the basement between the PVC waste line and the cast iron house trap I noticed about fifty feet away another cast iron pipe coming through the basement wall with nothing attached to it. When I suggested he give it the sniff test he almost fell off the ladder - there will be no mistaking when you find the source. It seems that when the septic system was installed the plan was to run separate lines to the tank from each side of the house; that plan was scrapped but the second line was already installed and never capped off. Good luck.
Aug 23, 2012, 07:44 AM
7cfw
Ok My house sits on a slab. The bathroom is use all the time.
There is water in the p-trap. The smell starts after the shower
is ran for a while. The only thing I did not try yet is to hire
a plumber with the use of the video camera; which is about $300.

Can I use a snake up in the roof vents? How do you make it turn?
Aug 23, 2012, 07:37 PM
7cfw
Well, I have discovered my issue and you can put this down in the book of fixes....well here is the answer Today I rented a plumber snake and tried to put down the shower drain. I couldn't get it to turn through the p-trap so I started outside in the clean-out. I have a major issue. Nothing but mud came out which means I have a busted pipe. House sits on a slab here in the south. Anyone want to buy a house? I wonder if any of those tv producers want to challenge this project for a show?
Aug 24, 2012, 01:34 AM
Chuck Steak
I got nothin' - good luck.
Sep 10, 2012, 03:05 PM
Sparky
cfw,
Thanks for the update. Is it repaired yet? This might be an option for repair without digging up your floor or your yard.

http://www.rescuerooter.com/se...ices/trenchless.aspx

It should work if there aren't any breaks before the last clean-out as it leaves your house. If there are any Y's in the system after the break it might be a bit of a challenge.

General Disclaimer

Aug 28, 2013, 03:10 PM
JackDarl
This is really great advice from all the previous posters.

I hope you got the problem fixed. If not I would trying calling in a professional.

B&B in Brighton
Nov 18, 2013, 04:44 AM
dynamerican
I can tell the liquid plumber is still in the pipe because I had purchased a hair removal long flexible stick (with plastic thorns on it) and when I pulled it out, I could still see the gel from the liquid plumber on it, so my gut tells me I do have a clog.

Plumbing Drain Cleaning