Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Holmes on Homes
  Garage that sweats n freezes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage that sweats n freezes Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi my garage has an issue with sweating. The water seems to collect on the interior walls and then it freezes. The walls are sheetrock/drywall and the ceiling is also. The outside is vinyl sidding with OSB board in between and it has a shingle roof. This only happens in the winter and it is ruining the walls. What can I do to prevent the sweating from ruining the walls or stop it from happening? Thanks Kim Thomas

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
You don't list your location, but I assume it is safe to say you're in a cold, damp climate. Is the water condensing on all surfaces in your garage or just the exterior walls and not the ones that are common to your house?

How old is the house? Since you have OSB I'm figuring it is probably less than 25 years old, but is it really new?

I assume you're bringing cars into the garage and the cars are warm when they enter, well at least the engine and exhaust system. Are the cars wet?

This article talks about condensation in attics, but it probably applies somewhat. http://www.human.cornell.edu/d...c-condensation-2.pdf

I suspect you need to get some ventilation in your garage to take care of the moisture. In a cold climate a dehumidifier isn't going to help in the winter in an unheated and uninsulated garage.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6960 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The garage is detached. It is 10 years old. It has no heat source right now. It is in southern WV and a high elevation - Greenbrier county. There is a attic drawl door and we have tried to leave it open. It is well vented in the attic space but doesn't have fans or a vent from the interior to the attic. Could that be the problem? If heat is needed what type would you recommend? Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you leave the car in the garage to warm up? You need to find the source of the excess moisture that is condensing on the cold walls.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post