Message Boards


  • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Holmes on Homes
  Need serious help
Need serious help Sign In/Join 
I request any assistance you can give.
I have lived in my home for 5 years. I use a good contractor for my home's needs. there is one major problem and I am out of options.
There is a leak from the outside of my house near my fireplace. No one knows where the water is coming from. I had a roofer pour liquid silicone like rain to plug the leak. I had my contractor open up my vaulted ceiling. We know where the water is going and how it penetrates the ceiling inside the room but no one can find how it is coming in. I had a masonry guy plug up the fire place. I am terrified the exterior wall and fireplace will collapse the house is only 22 years old and I do know there is no tyvek paper between the siding and plywood. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1 | Location: Home | Registered: Jun 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Mike Holmes doesn't read these posts so don't expect an answer from him here.

Some pictures of the area around the chimney might help, but you really need someone to look at it in person. All we're going to be able to do is offer ideas and opinions, many of which the guys that already looked at the problem may have already had.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6862 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata    HGTV Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows  Hop To Forums  Holmes on Homes    Need serious help