Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  Episode 2 - Maybe it will become more interesting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Episode 2 - Maybe it will become more interesting Sign In/Join 
posted
as time goes on. Or, maybe I am not as interested because past end results (ultimate winner) have been disappointing, so I have little to look forward to.

What was so great about Anne's bed? It looked almost as unfinished as the one last week. Jessie's kitchen was not as bad as Boris's and Abby's work this week. I think they may have considered letting Boris go tonight, but that would leave them short by another male. So, Jessie goes. I thought that she was the best of the lower three tonight.

I wasn't really thrilled by any of the designs tonight.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Aug 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with messengerA, Boris should have been voted off tonite. Jessie did not go far enough, but those lower shelves you had to look hard to see. But Boris' design didn't match anything else and there was not much there at all - an area rug in the middle of the room and not much else.

Posts: 222 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am working when the first episode airs, so I have to wait until after one:00 I hate waiting, so I read here hopeing to find a hint of what happened. so thanks. I wish after the first episode they would post pictures and the video of it. No luck.

ARe there any reviews of it like other years. We had a blogger and the three judges and davids views on the episode.

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loverofdesign:
I am working when the first episode airs, so I have to wait until after one:00 I hate waiting, so I read here hopeing to find a hint of what happened. so thanks. I wish after the first episode they would post pictures and the video of it. No luck.

ARe there any reviews of it like other years. We had a blogger and the three judges and davids views on the episode.

David did a recap, he didn't think Tobin should have gone home, I think he would have sent Cris home.

The producer answered some questions, and there are lots of comments on the blog.

I find this site very hard to navigate, they don't make it easy to find that stuff.

They are still posting photos of each epidsode, they will be up tomorrow.

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by messengerA:
as time goes on. Or, maybe I am not as interested because past end results (ultimate winner) have been disappointing, so I have little to look forward to.

What was so great about Anne's bed? It looked almost as unfinished as the one last week. Jessie's kitchen was not as bad as Boris's and Abby's work this week. I think they may have considered letting Boris go tonight, but that would leave them short by another male. So, Jessie goes. I thought that she was the best of the lower three tonight.

I wasn't really thrilled by any of the designs tonight.

I do agree that none of the designs were anything special.

I think Jessie went home because all she had to do was shop, she kept going on about not being able to paint because she had to create. It seems whenever one of them goes on about how good they are at their particular task they end up going home. Jessie's spice racks where just blah, why didn't she mount them on the wall and have some spices in them?

Sometimes I wonder if these people have ever watched the show before, Abby I'm talking to you. Why would she not go shopping for her own stuff? She needed to stand up to Jessie. Abby did most of the labor, Jessie just shopped and she wasn't very good at it.

Boris's room was another oh moment. I did like the signs he used for sconces on either side of the banquette. I think they must have all agreed on the black/white stripes and they really didn't work on the banquette or the drapes. His repurposed stool was lame.

I don't understand how Anne won either, all she did was make the bed. Tiffany should have done a better job of putting light on the headboard. Their room did look nice.

I liked Cris's camera light, Tylor's car hood could have been nice if he had done a better job of painting it, instead it looked like something from a frat house. Overall the living area looked finished.

I liked Jeribai's wall but that was the only thing I liked about their space. Wasn't a fan of Brooks's light fixture or his pink stereo. Will have to wait for the pictures but I think Jeribai talked him out of putting coffee stains and dirty glasses in there.

By the second episode I have usually found someone to cheer for, not this year. Maybe they have new editors and they are trying to make everyone look bad. Of course I'm going to keep watching, I mean what else is there to do on a Sunday night. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CorvetteLady,

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
From the remarks the judges made, I thought that Boris would be the one going home. I can understand their decision because Jessie mostly shopped and did very little designing.

I personally did not like Boris' design. I think that Abbe should have done her own shopping so her design sense would show. It was unfortunate that she had so many walls that needed painting. Everyone else seemed to have brick and maybe one wall to paint.

Brook's light treatment certainly went with the loft setting as did Jeribai's metal wall. I liked both of those things.

I think that Anne and Tiffany did well. As did
Chris and Tylor except for the automobile hood. Of course, this is just my opinion.

I was also glad to see everyone getting along and no bickering.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1459 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with the comment that Jessie may have gone home because she just "propped" with things she shopped for, no building, sewing, painting, etc.

There were certainly individual moments in each room setting but all in all none of the rooms would have made it into a design mag.Underdone, pedestrian, or just awful, are descriptions that come to mind. Hope to see better work in the future.

Did notice the judges specified the "overall" combination of work and camera challenge, which might explain who they picked. The bed was a total nothing design wise. It looked like something a non professional could be proud of, but not a design show contestant.

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they picked Anne just because she got the bed finished? It seemed like they thought she was the most improved but the bed was nothing special. The bedroom was finished but again nothing special. I am always amazed by the editing, when did they buy all the furniture? Those wing chairs in the bedroom, it's like they appeared by magic, same with the living room furniture. They spent a lot of time showing the reclaimed items but we really didn't see any of the groups choosing the furniture.

When they were choosing the rug for Abby I thought they would call and ask her about the color or Boris would at least get Jessie's opinion. Usually there is a lot of discussion, sometimes disagreements about what to choose. We saw none of that this week. The only thing we saw Cris and Tylor do was their reclaimed items, their living room had a lot of items, well we did see the cigarette machine but not a good view of it finished.

Do the judges also seem more mellow this season? They aren't even having everyone come into the evaluation room, do they just not have enough chairs? At least this week they told Cris and Tylor why they liked the room instead of just saying you're safe. I know there's a lot we don't see but if they aren't giving them constructive criticism how do they expect the contestents to improve?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CorvetteLady,

Picture of steph1111
posted Hide Post
The overall designs were boring and outdated. The garish paint colors were such a turnoff. With the exposed brick work and flooring as a good jumping off point, someone should have knocked it out of the park.

Posts: 128 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Sep 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, let me just say, I made my bed today, and it looks really good.

They can't show too much of the design and shopping process right now, because the are busy editing for drama. Ann gets the beoitch edit, and Boris the doofiearse edit. They always set up some for us to like and others to dislike.

All the interpersonal bs is where we are at this juncture. After years of watching these judges--they are being less nasty (so far), but cannot be redeemed from the years where they appeared to revel in being oh-so-nasty.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose there was a theme to the style- loft style. but why wouldn'they make some generalizations and agree and stick to that generalization.Watching again I see they stuck to the color palette blackand white purple and teal.
And a hood to a car was like a door of a car put up on the wall by rob.It makes me wonder if they watched other seasons? Somehow the bike wheels looked okay.?? If the hood had been rusty etc or just another look, then it may have fit. Not sure. would you have put a painted vacuum cleaner in there?

What fit was a style like doing a lamp out of a camera and maybe vintage phonograph painted etc... that kind of old stuff redone style should have been more consistent with signs on walls mixing in. It seems like conversation for consistency didn't happen. Or at least not thorough enough.

Jesse, I think why she went home and that she didn't have a good concept about team work or what she was shopping forthat went with the overall idea. good choice.Just my opinion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
Jessie was better than Boris.He should have gone home.I'm glad that Brooks is safe,he's my fav. Another great job by him.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when i find those darn photos I think I am going to have bookmark them to find them again. grr.

posted Hide Post
When I went to college in the late 70's every art student I knew managed to decorate out of Goodwill and the trash. What I saw on HGTV Star looked like those Philly loft spaces done by poor 20 year old students 35 years ago.

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Definitely nothing that appealed to me in episode 2. I think they were all a little cliché when it comes to a particular style they may not be familiar with - Rock Glam...

How is a white bed a wonderful design?

Boris' dining area was a messy and 'scribbly', with too many little things to look at and I wasn't sure what I was looking at.

It did all look college dorm and done by pedestrians.. Wink (Charles D)

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rock Glam.
or is it Glam Rock?

Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
Glam Rock would be 1980's inspired.Rock Glam is different.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When they showed Ann shopping for her own bedding, I thought "Well, looks like she learned her lesson!" But when she picked white bedding again, I couldn't help but wonder about that.

Yes, the bed looked nice in the end, and maybe white was the best choice from her options, but I hope that if Ann does any more designs with beds, she can branch out and NOT use white. Just saying.

I figured she'd get the top prize.

I think it's interesting how they take the middle of the road people and just tell them to stay in the waiting area. It works for editing for time, since the judges don't have to comment to them one way or another.... but it seems like a bit of a cheat, in a way. Cris gets the "your camera lamp was the best repurposing, but other than than you are pretty mediocre"

So did they send the right one home? Well... they certainly edited things to look that way. Jessie pretty much just shopped and arranged what she bought. I felt bad for Abby- but she should have stood up for herself and said "No- I have a responsibility to complete my space and you will have to do some of the painting yourself" She did deserve to be in the bottom two, but out of her and Jessie, I think the right choice was made.

Boris? ahhhh... not sure what to make of him. He certainly stands out. Not always in a good way. But that still could be editing.

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post