Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  Brooks should have won HGTV Star
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brooks should have won HGTV Star Sign In/Join 
posted
ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!? TIFFANY, REALLY TIFFANY!?!? BROOKS WAS ROBBED!!!! He won more challenges than anyone this season. He brought some life into your programing. Now it's official, HGTV is the most boring network on cable. As a long time viewer (since inception) I will no longer watch this network.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
I think Anne won the most challenges but who's counting.

Did you see that bedroom tonight? Would that wallpaper lull you to sleep? You would still see it even with your eyes closed.

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When they asked which suite you would most be at home in, I would have to say Brooks. It was just odd enough to make me feel right at home. I do believe I've put similar wallpaper up & it was a crazy room, so that's why I KNEW he didn't have a chance, even though he did a lot better in his camera challenge tonight.
HGTV isn't looking for crazy weird, they're looking for nice and safe and mass appealing. I probably don't know anyone else who would take to such strange surroundings, but that's ok. Maybe Tiffany will have Brooks or J. as her sidekick.

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MartaIsabel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Helenenini:
ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!? TIFFANY, REALLY TIFFANY!?!? BROOKS WAS ROBBED!!!! He won more challenges than anyone this season. He brought some life into your programing. Now it's official, HGTV is the most boring network on cable. As a long time viewer (since inception) I will no longer watch this network.

No, are you kidding me? I would have nightmares staying in any of Brooks' rooms - especially the last one. Even the judges, who tried to force viewers to think that Brooks was a good designer by saying ad naseum, could not stomach his last design. They finally got it in their brains that NO ONE (sane that is) would or could sleep/live/love in a house that looked like it came out of circus.

Marta Caro

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree Marta. I don't think I would be able to go to sleep in the bedroom that Brooks did. If I was a patron of the hotel and was given that room I would have turned around and walked right back to the front desk to demand another room. The wallpaper at the entrance would have kept me from going any further. I get dizzy just looking at it. I think Brooks is a very cool and interesting person. He seems like he would be a wonderfully inspiring, creative, and fun teacher. I would probably love to hang out with him as he seems like a genuinely nice person. But.......design one of my rooms, ummm no thanks. His design sense seems to be just throwing all sorts of mixed up crazy things together, hanging weird things on the walls, putting up wallpaper that makes your eyes cross,and basically making rooms that have no warmth. But hey, I still think he's a cool guy, just not my kind of designer

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oregongirl,

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jun 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
Artistically,Brooks was the best but his manic personality and weirdness was a major turn off. I loved his rooms but he was just to odd to watch in a show of his own.

His suite would have been great if he did not have all that ugly stuff on the walls.It was a mess.

HGTV likes safe and normal.That is why Tiffany won.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe they gave the win to a designer who used stick-on carpet squares.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sabrina Soto and David Bromstad have both used carpet squares on their shows as have many other HGTV designers. Makes it much easier and cheaper to replace just a square or two than the whole rug if it gets stained or damaged and can't be fixed.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jun 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Carpet squares are functional. But not in a high end hotel suite. I thought it was tacky.

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
In the past when one of the contestants repeated a technique they had done earlier, the judges made note of the fact. I expected them to say something when Tiffany used the carpet squares again this week, but they didn't. I really liked the use of the squares the first time they were used...not so much this time.

I was surprised when they announced Tiffany was the winner. When they showed the judges discussing the rooms, they had a lot of good things to say about Jeribai's work but they found fault with several items in Tiffany's design...they didn't like her jute rug and they thought her table and chairs were ordinary. I wish the show was aired for two hours so we could see more of the process and more of the judges' discussion.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree. They had negatives for all the rooms. I liked Brooks best but I didn't care for the blue and gold walls. I think if had edited himself just a little he might have won. In my opinion he is the only one that consistently had innovative ideas. If only he had been better on camera.

Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
Brooks was not artistic or innovative, he was just off the wall crazy!

There are many blog post saying how great Brooks is but I'll bet none of them would have watched more than two episodes of his show. He's just so manic and you can't watch that for long. In an hour show we may have seen 10 minutes of Brooks so he didn't seem too bad, but to watch him for 30 minutes would get old very quickly.

Bottom line is he wouldn't have gotten any more epidsodes then Tiffany will. HGTV just doesn't seem to support their Design Star winners.

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry OP but I've got to disagree with you. Brooks was an awful designer. Just awful. Kooky and off the wall but not in a good way. Most of his designs weren't functional and often felt like he was designing for himself(ironically why they sent Anne home) and his camera challenges were terrible. I get that his last one was pretty good but that wasn't enough to make up for the maniac onscreen personality he has exhibited many times in the past. Oh and his final design? He didn't think of his clientele at all. They're in Palm Springs which is easy enough, it should be light, airy, beachy, fun yet sophisticated. None of those adjectives described Brooks and his busy wallpaper and imitation gold molding and that awful paint color. Not sure why anyone thinks he should have won

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it might be fun if he was a surprise guest on different shows, like Tiffany's new one. Maybe she could redo one of his rooms. That way he could be on tv and she would have something to redecorate.

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brooks took risks and was innovative. That is why he should have won. If he was the winner, he would have been coached and produced. I can buy what Tiffany did in Ikea. Jeribai never really designed, he constructed.

posted Hide Post
And addressing the comment about how the judges point it out if you repeat the same design element. Tiffany constructed a second fireplace as well as using carpet squares for a second time.

posted Hide Post
In the end all the contestants worked very hard. They all received notoriety which I hope helps them further their careers. I wish them all well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Real_Tini,

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Brooks drove me crazy. I hated his designs. Who would actually use that in a home? That bedroom wallpaper was horrific! Tiffany bored me too, though. She had nothing original. At least Jerabi had some wonderful construction pieces.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Brooks was clever and innovative and did eclectic very well. I figured all three of these guys had a fair chance to win, considering the direction HGTV sways to every year.

I don't think i'd enjoy his show, though, it would be too all over the place for me. and I've out grown eclectic on a budget.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madamary:
I think it might be fun if he was a surprise guest on different shows, like Tiffany's new one. Maybe she could redo one of his rooms. That way he could be on tv and she would have something to redecorate.

that's a good idea, all these contestants should be surprise guests on the winner's shows.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post