Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  Episode One - Spoilers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Episode One - Spoilers Sign In/Join 
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted
I'm still not sure if I like the vignettes for the first episode. I think when they decorate the house you get to see more interactions and get a better idea of who the designers are. Since there are only 10 designers there will be less episodes so maybe they just decided to skip the house. I wish they would have told us if they were all staying in the same house.

Let me start with our winner Brooks. First off he looks crazy, would you hire that man to do a room in your house? The pink wallpaper almost just looked like pink paint. The sheep's head was just bizarre. Vern said he wanted to know more about the stuff in that space, not me! Sometimes I think the judges pick out the worst design just to make us all scratch our heads and wonder what they've been smoking.

They all liked Abby's inkblots, I did not. The brown sofa was just drab. I thought the chandelier was too grand for the space. I also thought Abby was over the top, I found her speech patterns annoying. She seems giddy and giddy is not what I'm looking for in a designer.

I looked at all the portfolios before the show started. I liked Anne's the best so I was a little disappointed with her. The orange was way over the top, the pattern of the wallpaper was nice but the color was just to loud. I think she thought the loss of her bedding was a big blow but if Gen is to be believed it wouldn' have made much of a difference. I hope Anne learned that she needs to follow through herself on getting her items.

So did Boris sabotage Anne? Not sure it really matters. His vignette made me gasp, it was just strange. Even after looking at the photos I couldn't decide what his artwork was. I liked the style of the wing chairs and apparently he got to stay because they liked his chandelier. I think I would have sent him home.

Cris didn't choose the right furniture, she was worried she didn't have enough color in her room but really did nothing to fix that. I did like her wallpaper. I think maybe she should have gone home first.

Tobin's vignette had that great architectural detail, that alone should have gotten him another week. I think it trumped his "cheap" accessories. I agree with another poster who thought they shouldn't send anyone home till the second episode. But we had to say goodbye to Tobin.

My favorite vignette was Tiffany's. When I first saw it I just wanted to sit at that desk and pay some bills. I do wish the three that Vern said were safe would have gotten a chance to hear what the judges liked and didn't like.

I really liked the way Jessie used her wall paper, making three panels. This was my favorite wallpaper.

Tylor's choice of tables and yellow accents was good. That's all that stood out to me.

Jeribai's wallpaper was nice for a commercial area. I thought he over did the pattern and he should have taken that painting off the wall when the paint dripped. He really didn't need anything else on the wall. His portfolio was mostly rooms from his own house.

Well that's everyone, whew, too much maybe! Smile I can't say that any of these contestents made me want to see them have their own show. I'm sure they'll grow on me. I was surprised at how many don't have formal training. This is just me but if I'm going to pay someone to decorate my house I want them to have formal training, otherwise I could just do it myself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CorvetteLady,

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
When I saw the designers come in I thought that Brooks would be the next design star.

Then when I saw his vignette, I was very disappointed and very surprised he won. I actually thought it was kind of safe and static.

Actually I think I slept through most of the show, I missed the vignettes before they showed them at the elimination process. I did not like the painting with the dripping paint and that was not the only reason.

It was too bad about the bedding but would it have made that much of a difference? (couldn't you use paper or something to make believe?)

I think I liked the bright red and Yellow? wallpaper. Is there anyplace to see just the vignettes themselves? Just checked HGTV home page and couldn't find that.

Posts: 12140 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the overview, CL!!! I finally got to watch this today on my computer.

Yes, formal training is helpful, but I've seen many formally trained people turn out some of the biggest, most horrendous messes imaginable. Big Grin

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
Lady of shallot if you go to the HGTVStar home page you will find a link to the photos of the first episode.

Anne's wallpaper looks better in the photos then it do on TV.

Glad you got to see the episode doodles! Yes after I posted I thought about some trained designers that have done a really bad job. We've seen a few of them on Design Star. Wink

posted Hide Post
Ill try to go room by room remembering these were suppose to be their "brand".
Brooks: agree that judges picked the worst. Tells me his things are cluttered and disjointed. He said he had never done a room before, just taught. It shows.

Abby: thought it was little dark. With the sayings overlaid with the blot, maybe she is traditional with extras? Is that what she said? At least it is worth looking at more of her work.

Anne: a little too bright and one-note for me. Looked orange, orange, orange. But maybe others like that.

Boris: ho-hum. I did not understand the material in the seats of the chairs.

Cris:I liked it.at least I would like to see more from her. I think she will have a problem with time.

Tobin: nothing bed, nothing especially good. Would have liked to see more. Alas!

Tiffany: really nice. Put together.

Jessie: I don't remember hers.

Tyler's: it was okay. I don't remember much.

Jer...Frown I can't remember how to spell it) it was a little commercial looking.

I think Brooks should have gone home. The rest we will have to see a little more.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CL: I agree with your summary. If I had to choose which one of these I would want in my home, it would be Tiffany's. I found it very uplifting and calm all at once. Brooks entire design needed to be deposited in the dumpster on the way out of the studio. I'm wondering what sort of drug the judges were on last night!

Posts: 23 | Location: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Jul 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was intrigued by the pre-show designs they showed by Brooks and I was looking forward to seeing out-of-the-box, technology-driven design by him. His vignette was none of that and I was shocked that the judges thought his was the best design but I'm glad he won & continues because I'm curious to see what he'll do.

I thought Tobin should definitely NOT have gone home. I thought he brought some things to his vignettes that none of the other designers did: he constructed the wood wall and continued the construction on to the floor. I thought it was well done.

I think Cris' design was a bit timid and the scale of the pieces was off. I wouldn't have minded if she had continued in the competition.

Tiffany's vignette looked like a Crate & Barrel display. I happen to love the way Crate & Barrel merchandises but it's not what I want to see on HGTV Star, so for me Tiffany's design was a fail.

I thought Abby's design was creative and I liked her juxtapositions. I would have picked her as the winner this week.

I think Boris' vignette was oh wait, let me wake up again. It was dull and there was no design there. So the judges liked the chandelier. That's sweet. He didn't design the chandelier.

I think Anne is a drama queen and a whiner and I thought her orange and red design was an eyesore and she should have gone home.

Posts: 649 | Registered: Feb 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I liked Abby's vignette best, although the rest were good, or better than white rooms we've seen in the past.

I think show owners are paying attention to our posts, the judges are more smiley and with this first episode, the challenge seemed realistic.

I'm not sure about Brook's pink and I just hope pepto-bismal Pink is not the hot color next year. Big Grin

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me start with our winner Brooks. First off he looks crazy, would you hire that man to do a room in your house? The pink wallpaper almost just looked like pink paint. The sheep's head was just bizarre. Vern said he wanted to know more about the stuff in that space, not me! Sometimes I think the judges pick out the worst design just to make us all scratch our heads and wonder what they've been smoking.

They all liked Abby's inkblots, I did not. The brown sofa was just drab. I thought the chandelier was too grand for the space. I also thought Abby was over the top, I found her speech patterns annoying. She seems giddy and giddy is not what I'm looking for in a designer.

I love Brooks and think he will probably win this season. Who cares if he looks crazy? Who are you to judge him? I liked Abby's room. It was very relaxing looking and she did sophisticated Boho right.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabyDollBundy:
quote:

I love Brooks and think he will probably win this season. Who cares if he looks crazy? Who are you to judge him? I liked Abby's room. It was very relaxing looking and she did sophisticated Boho right.

I was not judging Brooks, I was judging his design. This show is a competition, it is all about judging.