Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  NEW JUDGES FOR NEXT DESIGN STAR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW JUDGES FOR NEXT DESIGN STAR Sign In/Join 
posted
Now that there is a lull between one season of DS and another, can we please beg for more credible judges? Can we please get someone who has a proven record of successful designing? I don't think I can watch another season of Genevieve and Vern.

GGs designs wouldn't pass on DS they are so ordinary. Vern does the same thing over and over again. Let's get someone who doesn't have a show but has the chops to judge properly.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many on these message boards would agree with you.Time for a new crew.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mennoboy
posted Hide Post
If I would have to pick judges, they would be Sarah Richardson, Thom Filicia, and Genevieve Gorder.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mennoboy:
If I would have to pick judges, they would be Sarah Richardson, Thom Filicia, and Genevieve Gorder.

Please - we're trying to get GG OUT of there - she is a smirking, no talent, HGTV created designer wannabe. If she were a contestant on DS she'd be gone quickly, yet she thinks she is competent enough to judge the others with her superior attitude and nasty disposition.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my fantasy, it would be a different crew based on different goals/expectations for the various challenges, e.g:

Stylistic integrity: Sarah Richardson, Cynthia Rowley, Kenneth Brown

Sustainability/Creative Re-invention, Re-purposing:
Carter Oosterhouse, Sabrina Soto, Karen McAloon

Edginess/ Playfulness: Cynthia Rowley, Antonio B, Hilari, sometimes Candace Olson

Integration of outdoor-indoor spaces: Jamie Durie, John Gidding

There are a ton of other categories, but you get my drift--

Posts: 81 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BONACTOR - GREAT IDEAS!

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
Many on these message boards would agree with you.Time for a new crew.

I agree. Enough of GG. Now HGTV is doing a new show with her designing her own home. Enough. She doesn't do anything new. Smirks, Stale

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on, guys. There is really no need for name calling. If you don't like someone's design perspective, you have a right to your opinion. Let's keep this professional, shall we?

I personally have always enjoyed Genevieve. I grew up watching her and Vern on Trading Spaces. I would definitely like to see Cynthia Rowley come back though. I also wouldn't mind seeing any of the judges from Top Design (from Bravo, back in the day) -- Jonathan Adler, Kelly Wearstler, or Margaret Russell.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since Vern HATES traditional design and Genevieve really doesn't go for modern design, I thought they were a strange mix to start with. Vern has his new show gig as permanent host of Bang for Your Buck and Genevieve has a child of almost school age and needs to be rooted. Maybe they will change judges.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: professorc,

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i thought some of you may want to read my blog post about auditioning for Design Star as a semi-finalist...

http://debisdesigndiary.com/a-...th-hgtv-design-star/

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ELizard65
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zaxmitchell:
Come on, guys. There is really no need for name calling. If you don't like someone's design perspective, you have a right to your opinion. Let's keep this professional, shall we?

I personally have always enjoyed Genevieve. I grew up watching her and Vern on Trading Spaces. I would definitely like to see Cynthia Rowley come back though. I also wouldn't mind seeing any of the judges from Top Design (from Bravo, back in the day) -- Jonathan Adler, Kelly Wearstler, or Margaret Russell.

I miss Top Design!! That show was great! My favorite was one of their small challenges when the designers had to pick out which was the high end piece of furniture/accessory/etc and which was the knock off.

HGTV, bring that show into the fold!

Posts: 12 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely agree about the judges, Vern and Genevieve, time for a change! I watched them designing when they were much younger. Not good and not interesting now.

Why are we having another Design Star? HGTV already has a number of good/great designers. Where are their shows? They were the shows that kept HGTV going. We loved them! It is like they have all been fired and you are looking for more designers. Please bring back those shows!

House Hunters is a good show, however, when you have them over and over because there are only a few new shows, THEY BECOME BORING!

Posts: 2 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heavens no, NOT that useless hack Gen Gorder. I can't stop laughing every time she uses the word "boss." Her language is as stale as her "designs," if you can call them that.

Posts: 329 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ELizard65, I totally agree with you about Top Design. I loved how they had the small challenge, like everyone choosing flowers & doing an arrangement (even though none of them supposedly had any experience with that), and taking a piece of furniture and doing something to it to show their personality. It could be painted or glue stuff on it or whatever. I sure wish they had something like that instead of the boring "camera challenge", that shows us NOTHING!

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
eventhough they have done their hardest to make vern and geniveve to seem appealing we know them. every year I see everyone wishing for new judges. So they shake the pot and bring in newones as if they don'tknow we really mean vern and now geniveve. I think The show would be so different if they were gone.

They have gone as far as to show a video with the tie contest between two guys. The other guy the announcer is shown a tiny bit and is a lame attempt to give us a british announcer back. Lame. Tie Contest lame too.

Perhaps it's their own fault trying to edit ratings in the past years.Not in a good way for us.
what's done is done.

But I wonder if maybe they shouldn't be shaking the producers and those behind the scenes instead.

There was a series, which I thought was kind of fun. I don't watch hgtv anymore except for design star. Honestly, I try, but turn the channel after an hour. can't watch the same commericial over and over either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
They need to get rid of the "Trading Spaces" peeps. Gen and Vern were horrible on that show and should not be judges of anything!

I think past winners of DS should be the judges.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They only need Sarah Richardson, Tommy Smythe & Cynthia Crowley

but Sarah and Tommy definately

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post