Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  Alice in LaLaLand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alice in LaLaLand Sign In/Join 
posted
Sorry but the Alice bus was just boring to me. I am not sure why it impressed so much. What do others think?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I think it might be that they couldn't get a good camera angle on it, since the table was long and the walls were sloped. Maybe there were details we didn't see. That said, it didn't seem all that special to me either.

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
I think they liked it because it was creative in a way the other 3 weren't. It was a fantasy, just for fun bus.

I do agree that it didn't show that well on TV but they all seemed to have an immediate postive reaction when they walked onto the bus.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CorvetteLady,

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I"m going to chime in about the camera angle. I can't tell you how many times I've done a great job on a small space and just couldn't get a decent picture for my porfolio.

I was a good example of thinking "outside of the box" (can we please retire that expression along with "eclectic"?)while still being recognizable as interior design.

I was curious why Tiffany didn't use the platform at the back of the bus as an opportunity to layer the plant material. It didn't need drapes or anything, just a staggered arrangement of the plants she already had.

Anne proved once again that safe classic design does not a star make.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I thought she had a nice table and chairs and decorations on the table, but the rest of the space was just painted green. Boring.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't like Tiffany's bus at all. The judges and David, over on the blogs, went out of their way to say how great it looked in person. Yet, it sure looked like crap on TV. Shouldn't that be counted as a camera challenge failure?

Charles D, pointed out that some small spaces are hard to photograph well. The thing here is that the bus had plenty of windows, that could have been opened, to get all kinds of camera angles. I my opinion they couldn't make it look good from any angle, so they had the judges and David rave about it, because they didn't want to get rid of Tiffany this week. What I saw was just a bunch of crap piled on and around a table, with everything else painted green, and not a good looking green as the judges claimed.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
I"m going to chime in about the camera angle. I can't tell you how many times I've done a great job on a small space and just couldn't get a decent picture for my porfolio.

I was a good example of thinking "outside of the box" (can we please retire that expression along with "eclectic"?)while still being recognizable as interior design.

I was curious why Tiffany didn't use the platform at the back of the bus as an opportunity to layer the plant material. It didn't need drapes or anything, just a staggered arrangement of the plants she already had.

Anne proved once again that safe classic design does not a star make.

Agreed, Charles. I cringe sometimes when I see "what the camera see" when I get my photos back after a job. Some jobs turn out fantastic but I can't include those in my portfolio or on my website because they just look awful.

I was a little disappointed she didn't do more with the walls - I was thinking this would have been a good opportunity for some fantasy painting.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was cringing when I saw the walls painted that color all the way up & maybe it would have helped greatly with the ceiling painted a light blue with clouds, since there was no natural light whatsoever. And I think the plants could have been arranged more pleasingly, with maybe a water feature that they were surrounding. When Sabrina mentioned that about a hottub, I thought, "that's what it's missing, a water feature!" And I would have used some pretty chintz pots to put plants in. But with the time constraints it's a wonder any of them get ANYTHING done. On day three I'd probably still be trying to think of what to do.

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ladylavender
posted Hide Post
there was no 'mad' in the mad hatter's tea party... there was just tea! it needed some playing cards design somewhere and some potted roses in red and white! perhaps a cheshire cat smile behind the plants would have been interesting?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ladylavender,

Posts: 185 | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See now what nearly allof you said is why brooks or the other one is going to win.

Actually it's been my fantasy to recreate that alice in wonderland kind of mad hatter. Iagree aboutthe details one could have done. [but then shopping takes time and did anne in.] So I loved seeing how she did it. I wonder what gave idea. She has seen past episodes.Did she see the first season's Alice mild interpretation? If google brings up an attempt at that I seek it out.

My fingers are crossed for her.
It was kind of safe but not seeming safe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I loved it but I'm a big Alice fan. I thought it was beautiful!

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We preferred an Alice/Mad Hatter room that appeared on WRC.

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post