Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  "Bland and boring"? How about "understated and elegant"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Bland and boring"? How about "understated and elegant"? Sign In/Join 
posted
Was anyone else surprised that G or S didn't offer an opinion contrary to V's dissing the backsplash/granite combo on the June 30 episode?

I find many combinations jarring or likely to look outdated soon. I thought the creamy, subtle combination, with a backsplash with an unusual varied texture, very appealing. I definitely would have chosen it over the other team's selections.

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I liked the backsplash and granite. You can use color in your accents. But then again, I have a very pale green living room wall color and last week they did not like that either. I guess I am just a boring person.

Posts: 1463 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was for it too. I who change my color scheme at whim would feel confined with a choice color in back splash. it's just that all the accessories and attention went to the window and the tables.There should have been more to add. after all they praised the accessories in the dining area. the copper pieces were too small and to blendy. Even a flower arrangement again there to bring the them in from the table would have been good. but abbey had to be busy if she did the backsplash with not too much time to spare.

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
Abby didn't do the backsplash, the handyman did. Don't you think if there had been darker shades it would have been better? Still could have added other colors to the kitchen but the backsplash would have stood out more.

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I probably would have gone for a bit more pop - you don't have to necessarily have a color for drama. If there had been just a little bit of maybe chocolate or a metallic in there it would have stood out more without confining you to a certain array of accessories. However, having said that - I liked it and think that they just had to have something to justify sending her home.

The one thing I hated - and right now I'm tired and can't think of which kitchen it was - but those little patterned curtains were just horrible, IMO and I was surprised nobody mentioned it.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like backsplashes that "pop" or stand out. It's just a taste preference.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACWhite:
I don't like backsplashes that "pop" or stand out. It's just a taste preference.

Perhaps I used the wrong words - I didn't mean pop or stand out as in, say, a bright neon orange - just something to give it more interest. I liked it, but if it were one of my clients I'd have suggested a little more variation (subtle).

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure Jeribai's backsplash was grouted. Was it? He seemed to place the final tile and was done, with less than 1/2 hour left in the challenge.

I agree with doodles about the curtains above the sink - they were a misfit stylistically and physically.

I was ok with the beige counter and backsplash - I thought they were varied in finishes and textures and anyway, they are fixed elements in a kitchen so they need to be long-lasting and transcend trends. My issue in that kitchen was the choice of hardware for the cabinets - I didn't care for the handles in that kitchen.

Posts: 649 | Registered: Feb 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ladylavender
posted Hide Post
it was beige on beige on beige... BBBBOOOOORING!
even the drapery was bland.... if they really wanted a pop of color, why not go with a drapery that had teal in it for the basic color? it would have livened the room dramatically and gotten accolades!
brooks was right. it was bland. they could have accessorized better too. i think they had a bowl of lemons for color and that was it. everything else was white or brown. it needed more

Posts: 185 | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think for "pops" or interest, strong colors work best as accents, in temporary accessories, such as pillows.

Part of my preference probably comes from having lived with a 1980s bathroom that is primarily white, but has several rows of bright blue tile. It's ugly (even though I generally like blues), and it is impossible (for good reason) to find shower curtains and towels with that color. So anything you put in there clashes or looks as if it doesn't "go".

Picture of ladylavender
posted Hide Post
cobalt blue???? omg! there is so much you can do with that! yellow! godawful green.... hot pink.... for the summer red (white and blue). go silver or gray with the blue.... there are so many cobinations it's ovwewhelming!

Posts: 185 | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I do not like any of those bright colors, and the bathroom is tiny, so bright really overwhelms the space. The tile is hideous, with a "wavy" pattern someone thought was cool in the 1980s--there is just no disguising its ugliness. The whole room needs to be redone (and enlarged, but that can only be done with an addition to the house). Some day...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ACWhite,