Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  Design Star- New Season
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Design Star- New Season Sign In/Join 
Picture of mriley
posted
I believe I saw an announcement that Design Star is starting their new season on June 9th. I was busy doing something else and just happened to see David doing the promotion. It was very short and I haven't seen it since.

I will be interested to see if there have been any changes on the show...maybe different judges.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I saw that it was called HGTV Star and not Design Star(?).

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Charles, you are probably right. I was doing something else at the time and did not pay full attention. Do you think it is a version of Design Star?

Posts: 1451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell, the commercial was so short. It did mention D.B. as the "mentor", which is how they referred to him last season, so maybe the format is the same. I'm wondering if the difference is that the winner gets something other than a series deal.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O.K., the new name is HGTV Star, but the grand prize is still the promise of a series. It is being billed as "new designers, new challenges". Of course it's always "new designers" so that tells us nothing. I'm sure we're all waiting to hear "new judges". There was quite a bit of tongue wagging last year regarding Vern and Genevieve, but no word yet. Anyway, season premiere Sunday June 9th.

Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
...the new name is HGTV Star...

Thanks so much! I had my DVR set up to record "Design Star." Now I'll be sure to change it.

Has anyone else been watching the new episodes of The White Box Challenge? They've been showing at odd hours, early in the morning.

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I did not know about the White Box Challenge. I will have to check that out. Thank you for the info.

UPDATE: Just watched White Room Challenge at 7:30am. The contestants used items from a pet store. It was interesting to see their designs geared to their own children.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mriley:
I believe I saw an announcement that Design Star is starting their new season on June 9th. I was busy doing something else and just happened to see David doing the promotion. It was very short and I haven't seen it since.

I will be interested to see if there have been any changes on the show...maybe different judges.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I have seen from the advertising of the show that Sabrina Soto is a new judge. Of course, Vern and Genevieve are still there.

posted Hide Post
Great! First Meg Caswell winning and now here comes Sabrina "Soso" to ruin another show. We will not be watching this season.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After seeing a commercial advertising the judges line up, the conversation in our house immediately turned to "O.K., how many episodes are we gonna' give it before we give up?" We are so done with Dragon Lady Vern and his snarky unconstructive critisisms.

posted Hide Post
Aww, c'mon Charles - you have to watch if only to join in the banter here about the judges, the challenges and the contestants. Last year they at least went a step up with the contestants. I was SO hoping this year to see different faces at the judges' table but nope.
Anyway - I'll watch - as I say, this is my one guilty pleasure of the year.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why in the world would they change the name of the show?

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:

Well, Charcoal, they're taking Design out of everything else on the network, perhaps they are going to just give up and admit Design has little place in the future of any of the shows? Perhaps this way they can just go ahead and not have to worry about who actually can design, they will be justified in going for someone they can make a star?

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
Exactly, Doodles. TPTB are afraid that the lowlives they've sold out their channel to won't watch the show if it has the word "design" in it. How revolting.

Posts: 2145 | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because they secretly intend to force the winner to sell real estate.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
quote:

Because they secretly intend to force the winner to sell real estate.

LOL Charles - yeppers, I think you may have a point there.

posted Hide Post
I believe Charles D is correct here. I too believe the winners of HGTV Star could be trained to sell real estate. Design? Not so much.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Season 8 cast portfolios are mostly mediocre. Where do they get these people? These are the portfolios that HGTV chose for the show, out of thousands of applicants? Looks as though this will be another disappointing year.

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Sy DVooh, Thank you for the heads up re: HGTV Stars. I had not checked the show out yet.

Some of the portfolios are not to my taste, but they are varied. I haven't checked the bios yet. I'll save that for tomorrow.

Picture of robeau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doodles64:
Aww, c'mon Charles - you have to watch if only to join in the banter here about the judges, the challenges and the contestants. Last year they at least went a step up with the contestants. I was SO hoping this year to see different faces at the judges' table but nope.

One guilty pleasure? Obviously all those delicious looking cupcakes don't count!

here we are now, entertain us

Posts: 662 | Location: sierra foothills CA | Registered: Jan 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robeau:
quote:

One guilty pleasure? Obviously all those delicious looking cupcakes don't count!

Well, Robeau, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
Seriously, are you going to stay in one spot long enough to watch this season? Have to say, I do miss the "old days" of making Gumby crazy.

Picture of robeau
posted Hide Post
I'll see 2 or 3 episodes then catch the rest next September. Did you see my world premier on Antiques Roadshow? I got too much publicity on local F.B. and need to give the goods to my sister who wanted the stuff in the first place.

Posts: 662 | Location: sierra foothills CA | Registered: Jan 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
robeau, I remember a few years ago, you were going away for the summer. Is it the same type of thing again?

I really miss DS. It just doesn't seem like there's nearly the activity on the boards about it as there used to be. Mikey V. was really the first experience I had with DS and the boards and oh, my goodness, that was something!

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if HGTV star comes on the same night as Food Network star? If so what a bummer.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robeau
posted Hide Post
quote:
robeau, I remember a few years ago, you were going away for the summer. Is it the same type of thing again?

I really miss DS. It just doesn't seem like there's nearly the activity on the boards about it as there used to be. Mikey V. was really the first experience I had with DS and the boards and oh, my goodness, that was something!

Yep, we live in a different state during the summer. The boards sure did cook back then, posters had strong opinions on who they wanted to win D.S. and you really had to be careful on your wording!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robeau:
quote:

Yep, we live in a different state during the summer. The boards sure did cook back then, posters had strong opinions on who they wanted to win D.S. and you really had to be careful on your wording!

I really wish we could go back to that time - it was fun and we had something to feel passionately about in the programming. Now, judging by what I see on these boards, most of us just don't care enough to post much any longer. We're sick of El Yippo and Smirking GG, sick of stupid challenges (altho I have to admit last season was better) and very tired of TPTB deciding which type they are looking for and plugging in that one regardless of the obvious superior talent of the others.
Having said that, tho, you know I'll be watching. It can't be any worse than that horribly regrettable season when they let that clueless producer What's His Face call the shots. I think that was the last straw for a lot of people.

posted Hide Post
You're right, Doodles. The show was getting worse and worse and that season did it for me.

Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
Another season is about to start, not as excited as I was last year but I'm still looking forward to it.

I just looked at all the portfolios, I liked Anne Rue. Most of them were too modern for my taste. This group doesn't seem to have deep portfolios, one guys was mostly rooms in his house. Several had mutiple photos of the same room. Could be interesting.

A while back I read a blog of someone who tried out for this season, wish I could remember where? She made it through all the interviews but wasn't picked. She sounded way more interesting then this group. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

See you all tomorrow night!

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CorvetteLady:
Another season is about to start, not as excited as I was last year but I'm still looking forward to it.

I just looked at all the portfolios, I liked Anne Rue. Most of them were too modern for my taste. This group doesn't seem to have deep portfolios, one guys was mostly rooms in his house. Several had mutiple photos of the same room. Could be interesting.

A while back I read a blog of someone who tried out for this season, wish I could remember where? She made it through all the interviews but wasn't picked. She sounded way more interesting then this group. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

See you all tomorrow night!

It's a date! Let's see how much trouble we can stir up.

posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand the point of this show. If HGTV were actually going to produce and have these design shows on their network then that would be great but where are the series? I know a new season of Color Splash is starting but where are all the others? Last years winner, Danielle Colding, had 4 or 5 episodes of her show and then nothing more. Then there was the All Stars and have never seen anything from Leslie Ezelle. Emily Henderson, Antonio Ballatore etc... where are all the good design shows?

I don't know if I want to bother getting invested in a new season when it's highly doubtful that we'll even get a new series from the winner. What gives HGTV?

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really hate to admit this but I MISSED THIS TONIGHT! Can you believe that? However, I did have a good excuse - my third great granddaughter was born this morning (yes, she's beautiful and perfect and all is well) and with all the excitement HGTV was truly the very last thing on my mind! I'm sure it will be repeated.

What did y'all think????

posted Hide Post
You didn't miss a thing. Worst show ever. Congratulations on the great grand daughter.

Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really hate to admit this but I MISSED THIS TONIGHT! Can you believe that? However, I did have a good excuse - my third great granddaughter was born this morning (yes, she's beautiful and perfect and all is well) and with all the excitement HGTV was truly the very last thing on my mind! I'm sure it will be repeated.

What did y'all think????

Congrats on the new granddaughter! That was well worth missing the show.

I just finished watching, I DVRed it and watched the Tonys. They didn't do their house this time, we never really saw if they are all staying together. I'm still trying to decide about this episode. Since they wanted to see their brand does that mean they want them to just do their brand? I could be wrong but I don't ever remember them actually telling the designers to do their brand before.

Can't wait for you to see it so I can hear your thoughts.

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Doodles!

Well, I didn't watch the show--kind of busy here and actually forgot. I am saddened to see so few comments on the boards about it. Oh, I long for the days of old.

posted Hide Post
Ok, I just had my post snatched out of my hands into the never never land of computer mania.

I did watch this today - interesting group. Yes, Brooks looks like he should be playing with test tubes in a dark basement. I know people in our line of work can get away with looking a little quirky (I have red spiked hair) but that is a bit over the top and I'd be afraid bugs would crawl out of his hair.

I would have sent Cris home, I think. Several of the designs had some interesting components but not one of them (except the office one) looked that anything I'd want to spend much time in. I have to say I thought the ink blots over the lettering was okay. The animal heads on the pink wall was horrible, but it WAS different.

Boris comes off as a real jerk but I think that is the editing - I can't believe he would have deliberately left the bedding not picked up, maybe because if I'd been in that position I'd probably have hand carried it home, just to be sure it arrived.

Looks like an interesting season - not great, but better than another episode of LIOLI.

One last thing - I wish David would lose those horrible red pants - they make him look like a cartoon character!

Thanks for all the nice comments about my newest great granddaughter. She is a joyful blessing!

posted Hide Post
So excited about the new season. I usually have to watch them on the HGTV website. I just finished the first episode (thank you HGTV for posting Smile. I like the attitudes of the judges (however I think they are calling them something different)they are not so snotty, snooty so far. With words of praise and encouragement for the contestants. I think they changed the name because the artists have to be more than just a great designer but they need host qualities that are even greater.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One last thing - I wish David would lose those horrible red pants - they make him look like a cartoon character!

I didn't notice them... but I did notice that as a group, when the judges showed up to do the judging, their clothes were not only, um... "unique"- but as a group they looked a bit like the circus had come to town. Vern was especially (now what is the word I'm looking for???)... mishmashed? Gen's dress would be delightful on a six year old, but seemed out of place on a grown woman.

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomatoqueen:
quote:

I didn't notice them... but I did notice that as a group, when the judges showed up to do the judging, their clothes were not only, um... "unique"- but as a group they looked a bit like the circus had come to town. Vern was especially (now what is the word I'm looking for???)... mishmashed? Gen's dress would be delightful on a six year old, but seemed out of place on a grown woman.

TQ: JEN is out of place on a grown woman. She seems to be stuck back in jr. high. Oh, man, how could you miss those red pants???? I think he wore them last season too and I was horrified then too.

Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
OMG. Who cares what they're wearing. I bet you don't look great. Gen is pretty ,me thinks some ladies are jealous.

David would look great in anything.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no reason to be personally abusive "I bet you don't look great" to another member who was simply expressing his/her opinion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabyDollBundy:
OMG. Who cares what they're wearing. I bet you don't look great. Gen is pretty ,me thinks some ladies are jealous.

People care what they are wearing because this is a design show with people who are supposed to have taste. If they look ridiculous, why would we hire them or watch them or buy the laundry detergent, air freshener, paint, blah blah that they recommend. And as a Sociology Professor, observing all the judges and host, this Genevieve person seems to be the only one of them that turns her insecurity into belittling, a common form of trying to feel superior. Everyone is insecure, but the others don't come across that way. It could be editing of course. I have to admit, I do love reading message boards and I agree with the others that people don't get as involved as they used to.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabyDollBundy:

Oh, honey are you barking up the wrong tree. NONE of us are jealous of GG. I am a very secure great-grandmother and run my own successful Interior Decorating business. Trust me, unless I wanted to win a smirking contest, GG has nothing that I'd want.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by doodles64:
Ok, I just had my post snatched out of my hands into the never never land of computer mania.

I did watch this today - interesting group. Yes, Brooks looks like he should be playing with test tubes in a dark basement. I know people in our line of work can get away with looking a little quirky (I have red spiked hair) but that is a bit over the top and I'd be afraid bugs would crawl out of his hair. "

I predict that Brooks will win and be the new Antonio. I hope I am wrong.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JanetB216,

Posts: 222 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post