Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  Episode 3-- Send them all home & start over (spoilers)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Episode 3-- Send them all home & start over (spoilers) Sign In/Join 
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted
I wish I could find one of these contestents to like. Parts of the rooms were fine but these designers are just not very personable.

Tiffany has probably the best personality of the group. She and Brooks won the clients over and their room was best and they both get to come back. Going to wait to see the pictures before I talk about the rooms, it's so hard to tell from the brief glimpses we get on the show.

Anne once again lost fabric, this time it was drapes and when it was brought up at the evaluation the camera went right to Boris. Really, are we to believe he was out in the hall stealing her drapes? She is becoming anoying.

Cris let Tylor pick a paint color she didn't like and she really didn't try very hard to change his mind, so she learned nothing from last week. The hospital green was no ones favorite. When they did a screen shot of the four rooms together, right before the couple picks the one they like, you can really tell how bad their room was. So they both got sent home. Can't believe anyone will argue with this choice.

Boris remains creepy and Abby seems to cry alot. But they could only send 2 home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CorvetteLady,

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. Maybe they picked people who are unlikable so they do not have to give anyone a show.

Also, would someone please tell me how any of these rooms displayed the Tuscan/Italian style that this couple said they loved? And, where is the professional quality? Someone can paint the best stripes ever? Big deal.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belle_N_Lex
posted Hide Post
Tiffany and Brooks' room was the best, but it was not outstanding. The table top items were a cluttered mess. The single, large copper vessel alone would have worked well. They needed to edit out about half the decorative items.

Not a single one of them did a good job on the camera challenge. None of the 4 rooms were "blow your mind" great design. These are the best of the best who applied for this season?

Oh and btw... Guess they never watched this show before? Hospital green wall paint sent a contestant home in 4th place couple of seasons ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belle_N_Lex,

Posts: 623 | Registered: Sep 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By episode 3 we usually have a favorite in our house. So far this season no one is standing out. Tiffany seems to have a nice personality and is so far, the best in front of the camera. Her work looks practical and attractive but not outrageous. Brooks on the other hand seems truly talented, perhaps not as an interior designer, but as an artist in general. The combo of these two worked well as they balanced each others weaknesses.

I do a lot of contemporary work for my clients, but I am still bothered by the judges constant comments regarding "traditional" as if it is such a dirty word.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
when I saw the first show I immediately thought Brooks would be the winner. His space IMHO (I mean Tiffany's too) was way above the others.

I did not see the first part so did not know it was supposed to be Tuscan whatever.

I could not believe the choice of the green (Yuck!)

I did read "sabotage" about the curtains. too coincidental to happen twice. I really hated the curtains/draperies where they mis-measured the wall. How could you do that?

Posts: 12140 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I have looked at the pictures of the rooms and I will say there is a lot more there than we ever see aired on the show. There were some pieces of furniture I was surprised to see. I had missed the consoles that some of them used and I thought they were very nice and useful storage. I also liked the dining tables and chairs and benches when I got a good look at them.

I think that Brooks is one that "what you see is what you get." He seems to get along well with whomever he is working with. I like Tiffany...she seems "down to earth and practical." She doesn't make waves...just does her thing. Anne and Abby are a little more vocal. I also like Jeribai. He has some good ideas, but he seems to get involved exclusively with his projects. I am sorry, but I just can't seem to get behind Boris. Maybe he will start to grow on me as time goes on. This is all just my opinion.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hmmm... not a designer so my thoughts are always revolving around who could I stand to have in my house for any extended amount of time as well as what individual has "livable" creations. (We have been remodeling our own home, and HGTV has really given us some "neat" ideas. And you'd better like the designer or, as in our case, the contractor! We are still living in the home while all of this work is going on!)

IMHO Boris would creep me out! Abby gets too emotional - she'd make ME get upset! From what I've seen, Brooks, Tiffany, Jeribai, and Anne are all likable, and I've liked parts of what each of them have done. Too soon for me to call for a favorite yet though!

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typically I am not very critical of this series of shows over the years, but this crew seems like they have no clue. Brooks is my hands down favorite.

Posts: 571 | Location: Ferndale, WA | Registered: Nov 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well I thought they would stick with light colors but they didn't get too over board on it except for that light green.Others had green but it was one that went well with orange. and not that light. Actually some people like green in a kitchen etc, but maybe they add more bright accessories.

Chris allowed people to do things thinking it wouldn't reflect on her, but on them,and at least she was proven wrong.

I wish we could see more of the planning. I say that because I see painted furniture. Was it bought that way or was it done by them behind the scenes. There was a lot of it when you really look at the rooms.

I dread the next one - kitchen work. it's so more than it used to be.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I liked the Ann /Jerabai room best but I'm not that impressed with Anne. The Brooks/Tiffany and Botis/Abby rooms seemed too cluttered.

Is too bad they all seemed to have the same partners again but perhaps that was scripted for planned results.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're so obviously biased toward Brooks - if the first room they saw (was it Boris & Abby's or Anne & Jeribai's?) was unfocused, how do they explain the L O V E for Brooks & Tiffany's overdone mishmash? Way, way, way too much going on in that small space. I did love the prints Tiffany chose for the wall but I wish she'd hung them evenly, especially because they were juxtaposed with those dynamic stripes.

Agree with all of the above who couldn't find the Tuscan element in the designs. As soon as they started picking colors in the blues, greens, and pastels families I knew they were all going in a non-Tuscan direction.

It's all very amusing, though. Fun to watch (on demand, though - not scheduling my Sunday nights around this).

Posts: 649 | Registered: Feb 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I liked Brooks and Tiffany's room the best. The other ones were not very good and even looked cheap. At least the Brooks/Tiffany room had decent looking furniture.

Boris is creepy...super creepy,Abby is an emotional wreck..David looked freaked out by her meltdown. The rest are unforgettable.

I think Brooks will win but he needs to tone down his antics a bit.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see anything, even remotely Tuscan, about any of the apartment designs. The lack of design talent, and the lack of design knowledge, are both well represented by these contestants.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sy DVooh:
I didn't see anything, even remotely Tuscan, about any of the apartment designs. The lack of design talent, and the lack of design knowledge, are both well represented by these contestants.

Based on the judges and all of their disparaging comments about "traditional" over the past 6 years, it was probably a good thing that none of the contestants actually did Tuscan.For this series they only seem to be interested in contemporary. Also considering the clients positive reaction to Brooks and Tiffany's space, I was wondering what their idea of Tuscan was. Obviously perception and reality are two different things.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@Charles D: The alleged clients, are a show biz couple, so their goal was to be seen in a favorable light, something for their "reel." As for the judges, I suppose a French Country kitchen, minus the rooster, would pass for Tuscan. I just thought that the contestants, wanting to win, and show their design talent would have done some research, read a book or something, before hand. Silly me. I feel your pain.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sy, I have observed over the years the judges are hardly impartial. In fact if you really listen to them they usually respond positively to something that reflects what they do or like personally, not necessarily what the challenge calls for. It's almost like there is some directive from the sponsors or someone, that what HGTV promotes is this Scotch brand blue tape designery/Home Depot DIY style with some flea market Hollywood Regency thrown in for good measure. Totally formulaic.