Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  Mixed Messages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixed Messages Sign In/Join 
posted
Anyone else a little confused about tonight's results? Not necessarily WHO won, but the reason they won? Last I checked, there are NO design shows on HGTV..at least at a decent hour that most people would be watching. It's ALL reruns/marathons of reno shows or house hunters. But I was more than a bit confused when the judges were conferring with each other about who should win, and a comment about Jerebi was made. Dont remember who said it, but it was something to the effect of "Jerebi being the most hands on, can do carpentry, backsplashes, etc." Then they said that this competition was about DESIGN and not any of that. Wait...what? Then why did the drop the "Design" from Design Star? And why are all new shows about construction and reno as opposed to design concepts? I would think that someone who was well rounded and didnt mind getting his hands dirty would be a worthy winner. Seems as though the reason they went with Tiffany as opposed to Jerebi was pretty thin and nonsensical considering what HGTV has become. *Shrugs*

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
It was Sabrina that said it's good that he can do backsplashes but we are looking for someone to inspire on a design perspective. She didn't say it was only about design. I think she meant the final decision should be based on their design talent.

I agree that there aren't enough design shows. I would not be surprised to see Jeribai get one of the many construction type shows that they do.

They never really give us a good reason why they choose one designer over another, I am still trying to figure out how Meg beat Karl. I feel that either Tiffany or Jeribai could have won. I'm very glad that it wasn't Brooks.

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
Tiffany was more of a designer and Jerbai could build things.I don't think him being able to buoild things was bad for him but I think it made them think he wasn't focused on design.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Corvettelady, your comment about trying to figure out how Meg beat Karl made me laugh! I,too, still wonder about that!! What a disappointment that was.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
Chylnn1129 I think I complained often on this board about Karl losing. Maybe a little too often! Smile

I thought they might go with Jeribai since the last three winners were women. When I looked at the pictures I liked his room the most. I didn't realize the his room was larger then the other two. That would explain the large open space that the judges didn't like. But if you look at all the rooms they all had the same elements. A dining area, a conversation area and a living room, so they must have been told this is what the resort wanted.

It will be interesting to see if HGTV gives Tiffany more than the too few episodes they gave Danielle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CorvetteLady,

Posts: 537 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Tiffany won because she is a decent designer and had the best camera challenges. Brooks is talented and takes risks, but his camera challenges were hard to watch. I think Jeribai had good camera appeal, but, as a graphic designer, I think the panel was afraid that he wouldn't have the versatility in design that a design star needs.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post