Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   HGTV Design Star
  I'm sorry but I don't get the Brooks love
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm sorry but I don't get the Brooks love Sign In/Join 
posted
Am I just out of touch or something? I just think that while some of his ideas are out of the box overall on his best day he is a mediocre designer. The room that he won for was hideous. I don't get how he won for that and if you notice when One Kings Lane had to take design elements from his winning room they only took a sliver of wallpaper. That says something right there.

As for his next two challenges I think a large part of his success had to do with his partners Jeribiah and Tiffany but of course the judges seem to love him, I guess there's something to be said for being different.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
I don't get it either. It seems like the judges are willing to accept Brooks strange ideas, even though the average viewer of HGTV will think he's as off the wall as Anthony.

The judging is not consistant. But the winners this week were chosen by the clients. I wonder how much veto power Tiffany had over Brooks.

Posts: 538 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belle_N_Lex
posted Hide Post
Brooks belongs on a show like myth busters. He would fit right in with those crazy dudes! As for design... he lost me at lack-luster Barbie pink wallpaper and tacky fake animal heads.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Sep 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I like Brooks. I am not sure if I could watch his show as his manic personality is irritating but he is a good designer.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just want to say- remember how they just loved the pink ducks, and now that replica of a animal head on the wall. Now Brooks is not as wierd as the brooklyn guy in design, but we don't know yet. If he doesn't know design how can he show us design.

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me Brooks looks and acts like a mad scientist. Don't care for any of his designs and I too don't get the judges fawning all over him.

Posts: 398 | Location: MO | Registered: Nov 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ladylavender
posted Hide Post
broos is that bit of a wildcard that hgtv loves to see! he does not like beige... and we have seen that before... however he allowed it and they were docked for it. if anything he will be second or third in finishing.
so far none of these designers impress me. but they have deleted the ones who needed it... except maybe the first guy. i liked him!

Posts: 185 | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Brooks will be going this week for the simple fact that in the preview Vern said of someone's project that it "looked like a bus going to crazy town.", and that can only mean Brooks design. I like him & think he's interesting, BUT I don't think he would be a good host for a show. Maybe a sidekick for whomever wins.

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get it either. I suspect they are keeping him around simply because he looks different from the others.

Posts: 876 | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont care for Brooks either. He would not be a good host for a show.

Posts: 78 | Location: NC | Registered: Oct 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MartaIsabel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bohemian princess:
Am I just out of touch or something? I just think that while some of his ideas are out of the box overall on his best day he is a mediocre designer. The room that he won for was hideous. I don't get how he won for that and if you notice when One Kings Lane had to take design elements from his winning room they only took a sliver of wallpaper. That says something right there.

As for his next two challenges I think a large part of his success had to do with his partners Jeribiah and Tiffany but of course the judges seem to love him, I guess there's something to be said for being different.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was afraid I was the only person who just didn't get what the judges see in Brooks. He can't even articulate a sentence - and he's a teacher!!!

I don't think that was a "fake" head as one poster said. They mentioned that he liked stuffed animals on his walls.

I really think that if the judges make him the winner, I am over this show. Or do the viewers actually get a say so on the winner?

Marta Caro

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Brooks would be a very good designer for commerical buildings/museums/businesses, etc. But not for home design, which is what I thought HGTV was all about. Seems to me that this year's show has perfectly shown how far away from the original overall concept for the HGTV channel has gotten, which was for us, your average homeowner to get ideas, learn how to do projects, teach us how to get things on "our" budgets. HGTV hasn't been about that in a very long time now. Sad too.

I mean seriously, would you want to live in what we've seen Brooks design so far? Not me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vol Fan,

Posts: 24 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Jul 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe that he was not sent home this week. Once AGAIN all one has to do is hang a chair in the space and it is a winner with the judges. Can;t figure it.

Posts: 2030 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I so agree, Vol Fan, HGTV has turned into something I don't recognize anymore. I've almost quit watching altogether, but there are a few shows that keep me coming back & I hope one day they get the idea that we want our old shows back. Having said that, I would probably watch a few of Brooks shows to see if I could take the manic behavior and strange tips. He's probably a fun guy, because his students seem to really like him, but it just doesn't transfer well to the screen.
And his curiousities aren't really much on the curious side, just things that are misplaced. When I think odd I think Victorian hair art, or heck, anything Victorian, etc.

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember that show Trading Places on TLC awhile back? Remember the crazy designs that a couple of them would do? I remember the room that one lady did full of flowers on the walls & everywhere. Waaaay out there. That is what I think Brooks would be like trying to do a regular homeowner's house. He's great, but not for average homeowners.

Posts: 24 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Jul 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post