Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on the Cruz family? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hey, just wondering, has anyone heard anything about the Cruz family after they lost everything in Tyler, TX? I hope they found a place to live and that they stayed together.

If you think you can, you can--unless you can't!

Posts: 73 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
They are happily living in Illinois as they still own the home they lived in previously.They had a wonderful time in their dreamhome and shared it with many friends who came to visit.

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5616 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IAmWinner
posted Hide Post
Good for the Cruz family and their win!

Posts: 1023 | Location: Austin, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vinnie dabomb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nursejudy:
They are happily living in Illinois as they still own the home they lived in previously.They had a wonderful time in their dreamhome and shared it with many friends who came to visit.

Glade to hear this. I sure miss Shelly and Don.
I pray their health is back as well.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Cruz
posted Hide Post
doing good. best vacation we ever went on !! GOOD LUCK DREAMERS !!!

In God's love,
Don, Shelly & D2

** Member of the K.E.W.L. Jewel Club **

Posts: 891 | Registered: Mar 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Cruz
posted Hide Post
Doing good. Best vacation we ever went on !!! GOOD LUCK DREAMERS !!!

In God's love,
Don, Shelly & D2

Picture of Vinnie dabomb
posted Hide Post
Hi, Don!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
neat picks Vinnie!
I wish Shelly and Don would stop by, neat people.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Posts: 5616 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that's strange. I read that they went so heavily in debt on the Tyler house and the proceeds from the auction couldn't pay nearly all the debt; that they went into bankruptcy. They owed more for the Illinois house than it was worth and they lost that, too. And I read that his wife was so upset that Don made such crazy financial choices that she either had or was going to divorce him. Are you saying none of that is true? It was in a newspaper article.

Posts: 73 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vinnie dabomb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Cruz:
Doing good. Best vacation we ever went on !!! GOOD LUCK DREAMERS !!!

guess you guys missesd his post. (the one with the big pic's)

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
The last time I heard from Shelly, they were doing well and DJ enjoying his sports.I am so happy they got to enjoy their Dreamhome for the couple years they lived there.

I knew Don posted the pictures, but you can't see his written post, so thank you for copying it Vinnie. They are a neat family.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of Vinnie dabomb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer13:
Are you saying none of that is true? It was in a newspaper article.

Sold the house for 1.3 mil. Tax bill was 672,000.00 You do the math.

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Can't always believe everything you read. My mother was a newspaper editor and journalist. Although she never did it, They call it yellow journalism. News is slianted all the time to give the point of view of the writter.

We were all so happy for Don and Shelly with their sell plus the auction on contents so their time in the dream home Tyler Tx was the memory of their dream of living there and enjoying it with their friends.

Thanks Don for stopping by. Smile

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
I thought they also took a loan against the house. I remember the picture of the check.
Doesn't matter. They were the only ones that at least tried to live the dream and it sounds like they don't have any regrets.

Posts: 1082 | Location: LAS VEGAS | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I beleive it was a mortgage which was paid off when they sold.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
I think they borrowed a million dollars and used that to pay the taxes. So, if they got
1.3 for the house and whatever they got for the
furnishings, they should of come out ahead, yes?

Posts: 1082 | Location: LAS VEGAS | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I do believe you are correct as to the purpose of the loan plus some medical costs for one of their parents, but when you borrow against a house it is a type of morgage. I think that most poeple who win a dreamhome would most likely go this route if they do not opt for the cash.
Yes they came out just fine and had this wonderful adventure in their lives. I remember how excited they were about the auction for the household decor. I really loved thehuge clock face in the greatroom and if I had a large area would have loved to have put a bid in on that, plus having a memento from the beautiful Tyler home. It was one of my favorites and loved that Don, Shelly, and DJ had the opportunity to live there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nursejudy,

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
I do remember posts and pictures of the Cruz family hosting people on this message board for parties at their house. They were very generous. They seemed like truly good people and I was glad they had the guts to go for it and live in this dream house. I don't think many would even try!!! I'm sure it was quite an adventure for them and they made many new friends.

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I know each year, I dream of the possibility of living in the dreamhome. What an adventure it would be.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of mythreesons
posted Hide Post
Friends with Don and Shelly and Don Jr. on facebook and they are all fine. Don wrote a book about the DH experience and has sold copies.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Mar 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Neat mythreesons, glad you get to share with them on facebook. One of these days I too will join facebook for now i check in on the news on my husbands.

I was glad to hear they shared this adventure in writing, how neat.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
quote:
...for now i check in on the news on my husbands.

How many husbands do you have?

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:
quote:

My guess right now, Chuck, is that she is counting to ten, if you get what I mean. !!!

Posts: 3159 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, he wrote a book? What's it called. I think that would be an interesting read.

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
quote:

My guess right now, Chuck, is that she is counting to ten, if you get what I mean. !!!

OK I counted to ten first and here goes Wink

Now chuckie, knowing we are all friends here, I did not know we had someone grading our posts expecting APA style. I noted you did that once to Vinnie as well. Thanks for wanting to make sure we get an A+ in thread posting. Smile

husband's (as in belonging to). The one I have is perfect and as I mentioned he allows me get the news and family pictures on his facebook account as well.

I asked Shelly about the book's availability at an earlier time and I know they would be happy to sell one to you Lakebound.

I was just thinking how neat it would to be to experience living or a long vacation as Don mentioned in one of HGTV's dreamhome.

This one is beautiful as usual.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nursejudy,

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
Sorry if you took my post the wrong way...I know some nurses who are champions at multitasking!

As for my comment to Vinnie, none of the tax questions really matter except to that one person who faces the dread of dealing with winning a couple of million dollars so what's half a million among friends, anyway?

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
No problem at all chuch steak, I wasn't offended. This nurse is always multi-tasking, but typing isn't one of my best activities and HGTV is for enjoyment anyway.

Never hurts to look ahead so if you are the winner, the tax issue doesn't come as a surprise.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
quote:

I was just thinking how neat it would to be to experience living or a long vacation as Don mentioned in one of HGTV's dreamhome.

This one is beautiful as usual.

Let's all face it. They clearly had a right to "try to live in the DH," but everyone with a clear head knew that they could not succeed. The first short while would have been a dream, I guess, if they weren't thinking ahead at all, but very soon, the dream would have turned as they faced the truth, that they were going to lose it all. Had they sold right away, they would have pocketed probably $1.5 million. They could have paid off all debts, bought a really nice house, gone on a really nice, long vacation, and still invested for retirement and live on easy street the rest of their lives. It was theirs to make, but it clearly was a mistake. Do they regret their decisions? You bet your DH they do.

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
They did not just try, they lived there for two years and Don has told us many times, no regrets, it was an experience of a lifetime.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of Don Cruz
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from y'all!

In God's love,
Don, Shelly & D2

Picture of Saucykittydld
posted Hide Post
My favorite Dream Home.

Posts: 120 | Location: California | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr.Bill
posted Hide Post
You are right Kitty! Great Home and Great People! Smile

{Proud Member of the Flapjaw Club}
~♥~ ~♥~

Posts: 3590 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, they were going to do a B&B with that house but the by-laws wouldn't allow it.

They might of been able to make it work. At least they tried, I have to give them credit for that.....two years in that house, lots of good memories.

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I said hello Cruz family, so glad you dropped in to say hello. HGTV said I hit a trigger word, so until my post returns glad you came to say hello. How neat it would be if a dreamer won this year as it was so much fun when you won and we were able to share the neat dream with you.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of Don Cruz
posted Hide Post
Dreamer13 read the book !

In God's love,
Don, Shelly & D2

Picture of Shelly Cruz
posted Hide Post
It was the time of our lives and we do not regret any decisions. There were plenty of circumstances that encouraged those that we made, and not all worked out the way we expected, but we had fun! Our son has one awesome memory about his experience, too. And, we have made so many good friends!

We never filed bankruptcy, sold the home and furnishings, and my wonderful husband and I have been married for over 25 wonderful years!

--Shelly

May your dreams come true...thanks HGTV for helping ours along!

Posts: 866 | Location: Batavia, IL | Registered: May 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Hi Don and Shelly,
Glad to see to you here and glad all is well. I know the many with questions were happy to get the correct answers from you. Glad Don Posted your dreamhome picutre. It will always be high on my list of favorite dreamhomes.

Got a quick weather update in your part of the country. Just talked with my son who said it is raining today and that my granddaughter had a snow day earlier this week. Did D2 have one as well.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of mrshmlow
posted Hide Post
The Cruz family's decision to live and share their dream in Tyler, TX brought life to this sweeps. Made it so much more exciting for everyone on this board and is still a highlight for those who remember.

Posts: 391 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Nov 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only wish Shelly and Don the best of luck.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.