Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  how to starch a ruffled doily
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to starch a ruffled doily Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I've looked online and discovered you can either cook up a batch of starch/water or sugar/water.
It's mom's hand crocheted doily and I would like to put it to use but I never saw how she starched it.

Have you ever done this? Is one method better than the other. If so, how did you do it?

Posts: 6061 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
You can use all ready starch (store bought). Mom had these white , trimmed in green, doilies and she made the stove starch. How I hated those things.!!! lol Now I wish I had a set. It was part my job when she re-starched them to go out and 'pull' the point up every 10-15 minutes until they were dry. They were beautiful. She would get a sweet potato going and set in the middle of one. All those green leaves. Memories.

But yes, I would use the boiled starch. Sugar/water draws ants, but works as good as boiled starch treatment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: granny3641,

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post