Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  Using that teeny hook!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using that teeny hook! Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm working on a snowflake with a 7 hook. It's so tiny compared to the G that I usually crochet with!

Does it take long to get used to a tiny hook?

Holly

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Not really long at all...in my experience. You know you can make different sizes by using different size thread and hooks...or even yarn and the bigger hooks...especially if you want to practice on a new pattern. Just match the hook size to the yarn/thread size.

Posts: 16931 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I use tiny hooks all the time, thread is my passion, going to the larger hooks is very hard for me, and I find I am quite clumsy for a long time trying to do something with yarn, but I manage. As stated in earlier posting, if you want to try a snowflake pattern in yarn, or any pattern you are unfamiliar with, I also do lots of angels, I make a few rounds/rows with yarn, get the pattern established in my head, and go for it.
Good luck in your project, you will enjoy the results I am very sure.

Have a great day!!!!!

Shaddy

Posts: 248 | Registered: Oct 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise, and I took it! I started a snowflake in thread, put that aside, did it in yarn with an F hook, and now I'll go back to the thread.

I'm right on track with the "make a snowflake every Monday"- I've gotten 3 done. I want to have a blizzard of them by December!

Holly

posted Hide Post

Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Good job, Holly.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 993 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are doing so good. How do you like working with the small hook now?

Posts: 6974 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16931 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post