Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  Usually on the Quilting Board, but
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Usually on the Quilting Board, but Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted
i have to share! I am basically new to crocheting.I have been hanging out with a charity knit and crochet group in my area,for about 18 months..i always brought my sewing stuff with me, and they welcomed me..i finally got the bug,to learn crocheting with their help, i started out making dish cloths to learn the ins and outs. This "Narrow Steps" pattern is my second small afghan. Made it for my 15 month old grandson.

Posts: 11809 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fourthdaymom
posted Hide Post
Pretty! Thanks for sharing.

And welcome to this board -- please stick around!

Dale

Posts: 356 | Location: Lyman SC | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok! thanks!

here are the pattern links:
This one is the original, way to hard for me to follow,for a beginner..

http://www.knitting-crochet.co...ochet/narsteafg.html

This one i found, was so easy to understand..the pictures helped so much! "Groovy-ghan"

http://winkieflash.nl/2012/10/...pattern-groovy-ghan/

Posts: 11809 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Kim- very pretty! I drop in here a lot also.

Holly

Posts: 2928 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
HI Kim!!Love your afghan.I'm a knitter but can do some crochet,gonna try this pattern TXFS

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8870 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you did a beautiful job. My first pieces always had wavy edges

God nevers give you more than you can accept, wish he did not have so much faith in me

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the warm welcome!
The hardest part of this pattern is the first row..that has the DBL crochet drop, it involves counting to 10, or whatever number you choose for your drop! lol
after that first row..no more counting! yippee!

a friend did this for a scarf, in pastels. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

greysgolden, i did a single crochet all the way around when i finished. using the same color as the first and last 3 rows..it really helped tame the waves!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kim - Strut526,

Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello Kim-Strut 526,
Wow what a nice first project. You did a wonderful job. Welcome, hope to see more of your stuff.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 989 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of merry75
posted Hide Post
Great Job! I really like the colors you used!!

Posts: 281 | Location: kansas | Registered: Mar 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much. I started a new one with chocolate brown,teal,cream and a sea foam green. just a couch "scarf"..the furbaby sits on the back of the couch all the time, maybe this will protect it a little.

as i am learning, i try to make a couple projects to keep the pattern in my brain! lol

posted Hide Post
Welcome and Wow that is really pretty for your first project!! What kind of yarn did you use?

Carlene

Posts: 1371 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vanna white, i got it on sale, and had a 25% off total order coupon too. i used 11 colors.

Picture of Jodi's Mom
posted Hide Post
Welcome! Always glad to see new people Smile

Posts: 231 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi KIm, Just want to say great job and thanks for posting the site. I printed it off and someday soon hope to start it. Love it. Debbie

Posts: 216 | Registered: Oct 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your welcome, she had such a good pictures! are you in Mi too? i am south of Detroit.

posted Hide Post
Hi Kim I'm in A.P> I also quilt and go to Judys Sew What. Sure wish I could clone myself so I could get more done. : ) Debbie

Posts: 216 | Registered: Oct 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning debbie! your so close to me! our little knit and crochet group meet at the Taylor Library on tuesday evenings, and this Thursday evening, Southgate library.

we are so blessed to have a place to gather and learn. your welcome to join us anytime!

Right now, i am going to try to make a hat for a female cancer patient. Got the soft yarn yesterday,and the pattern printed. will give it a go tonight..with the help of the women, if needed!
And yes, we need a few more hours in the day to fit quilting in too!

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
Nice job, Kim. I love your color choices. I, too, mostly hang out on the Quilting board, but I've also been in here for a couple of years. Nice folks, and very helpful when needed. Keep on crocheting!

LindaJ52

Posts: 2387 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris In CO
posted Hide Post
OY! That's a lot of weaving in ends...especially since you are a beginner. I think you did a beautiful job!!!

Posts: 1449 | Location: Littleton, CO | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris,thats what everyone told me, in both groups i got to! they wanted me to just leave the ends as a fringe! never been a fan of fringes!
about half way through, i realized i could of been crocheting the right side in as i went..lol

i guess i could of done the left side that way it was too, but it was awkward for me, so i just waited until the end.crocheting all around the afghan, with the same color on the ends, took care of any uneven stitches..

i did start a new one, in chocolate,cream and teal. just going to be a couch scarf..where my little dog lays all the time..so she can see out the window.

Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Kim I see you all the time on the quilting board. I can't knit or crochet, but my mother used to do it all, sewing, knitting, crochet. She wanted to teach me, but I just wasn't interested until after she passed away. My sister learned to knit and crochet and made a lot of things. When she passed away 4 years ago, my DH and I cleaned out her house and found lots of boxes of yarn. She couldn't wear wool, so it was all synthetic yarn. I kept a lot of it and some knitting and crochet needles, but gave a bunch of it away to her church. I have a hard time trying to follow the directions with all the abreviations, but now there are so many videos online, that I'm hoping I can make a few easy projects.

Posts: 1678 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some great video's on u-tube. learning ones. i joined a group that was local,and actually sewed while they knitted and crocheted! but finally i decided to make dish cloths..and practice stitches that way.
I started with "Mikey" from The Crochet Crowd, he has a free beginner series, for Crochet,Knit,loom knitting ect..
http://thecrochetcrowd.com/?ut...ong&utm_medium=email

i love these videos, i can stop and go back and play again..so i can follow.
Check them out! see if you can find a free drop in group to attend. Ours is at 2 different libraries. one meets every tuesday evening, the other, we rotate between wed/thurs..
There is also one at our community center during the day..but i quilt there on wednesdays.
wish you were closer,would love to learn together! Kim

Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
Hey Kim - I see you on the Quilting/needlework board also. I have tried crocheting but my pieces always come out looking like the Leaning Tower of Pisa with wavy edges and I end up pulling it out.

I do however knit a lot. Mostly little hats for preemies. If you are looking for small projects to do quickly go to

www.carewear.org

for free crochet and knit patterns. Great organization.
Joan - also in Michigan!

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! my stuff went crooked for a while too..so i signed up for the free, new to crocheting on line course by Mikey..
http://thecrochetcrowd.com/

Intro: Lets hook together lessons..they email you a series of 3 i believe. I am more of a virual person, so the videos really helped straighten out my edges!