Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  Question about adding a buttone hole
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about adding a buttone hole Sign In/Join 
posted
My little dog has a ton of winter sweaters that have no button hole for her harness to be worn under her sweater. They are all store bought sweaters and I was wondering if someone that sews could add a button hole on the top of the sweater to allow her harness loop to be attached to her leash. We have several people where I live that do alterations but I didn't want to sound dumb asking them if they could add a button hole if this is a impossible take to do. I can not sew. Hope this description makes sense and if not let me know and I will try to explain further.

Thanks
Loves Tx

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Dec 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know exactly what you are talking about and do not understand why the makers of pet clothes do not put a hole for the harness loop to go through. After buying the first cute sweater for my little and discovering this, I make sure to look closely before buying. Having vented along with you, in answer to your question, it will probably depend on what your sweater is made of if an alterations person will be able to help. Take one in and ask.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great to know I'm not the only one that has had this same problem. I just didn't want to sound stupid when I ask someone if this was possible. The materail is a knitted sweater like one I have bought for myself for the winter. Was afraid if the button hole wasn't tightly stitched it would allow the knit to come lose and create a runner in the material. If that makes sense.

Loves Tx

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Dec 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By using cloth you can put a bound button hole in a sweater. It would not unravel and would not stretch out of shape.

Posts: 7050 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
I found some at a Craft fair in fleece. I had to add velcro as the underbelly strap was too long, but the hole for his leash was there.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
I do sew and would be able to do this so think someone close by that sews could do.I would sew fabric on the top side,creating the button hole,cut it open push the fabric through the hole to the underside and sew the fabric to the underside.Hard to explain but the answer is yes it can be done SmileDid you try to google how to make button hole in finished sweater??? if I was closer I'd help you. GL

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8944 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post