Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  need a hat pattern
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need a hat pattern Sign In/Join 
Picture of granny3641
posted
Very quiet board. Hope someone will show up to help me, please.

I'm looking for a crochet hat pattern, very easy!, that has a fold up bill. I have a hard time following patterns and am not the best at crocheting. Have made the beanie type hats for some of the family members, but want the other kind too. Have looked on pinterest and they all say to use chunky yarn, and I don't want to use that. Am I asking the impossible?

Appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Crochet pattern central?

Posts: 29 | Location: TN. | Registered: Feb 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Thanks Suesy, I finally found one on the Red Heart site (I think). I will try it and see how I do. Lots if I could knit, but have a really hard time with knitting. lol

But thanks for the suggestions.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Ravelry? they have lots of free and neat patterns too.

Carlene

Posts: 1752 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may want to try Lion Brand - they offer a multiple choice of free on-line patterns.

Posts: 62 | Location: Williamstown, NJ - USA | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lionpride
posted Hide Post
Do you mean like a stocking hat? Where you do a straight like tube down and fold the brim up? The one I make is with 2 yarn held together and with slight adjustment can fit any size. Was posted long time ago but don't see it anymore, will look if can find link. Let me know if that what you mean.

Posts: 904 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Dec 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dani. I made a couple of beanie type hats, but had to use a larger needle and do more stitches for the size that they suggested for the sizes I needed. And I don't crochet too tight.

I might like to try it if you can find the pattern.

Jean

Picture of lionpride
posted Hide Post
Will look this afternoon for it. Doing it by memory so want to make sure I include every thing. The kids here (especially teenagers love it.) I modified pattern so make it with earflaps also and was doing one for a 20-25 year friend of my son and 2 other ones requested one also. Have made over a hundred since oldest in 5th grade and he is 22. Made about 12-15 last year alone for high school basketball team (small area) as teacher coaching gave them all one for Christmas. :-) I use variegated and solid or just 2 solids. Will try to post picture when do pattern so can see one done. Have used up to 3 yarns doing it also (next one doing black, gray and red) Have also made them for 2-3 year old and up. Never wrote down earflap part so if want that let me know and I will try to write down and add.
Will tell you a story that still makes me laugh about these. Made first for son and a kid at school who was jealous took at recess and pulled on so stretched bad. My son's friends got back and were real upset about it. I told them no big deal just wash back in shape. Then offered to make them one each. They picked colors from yarn stash for theirs and made them up. Then he brought home more request, then teacher said if everyone had one in class could wear during the day. Well by that time there were only like 3-4 kids with out hats lol. One day when went to school to pick up kids had the teacher that watched recess pull me to side and thank me. Said always before was put on your hat, put on your hat all recess. Now she had to tell them to take them off before they came in and after. These were all 5th graders and they were that bad all thru high school. Smile
Ok will be back later tonight (Friday or Saturday at latest)

Posts: 904 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Dec 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dani.!!!! I appreciate the offer. Will try to make one. And if you can, also with the flaps.

I am just getting ready to sew the squares together for my 4th afghan (since 19th Sept.) as will want to make something else. Grand-sons love the hats.

Jean

Picture of lionpride
posted Hide Post
Ok Here is the 2 colors I used for the hat...navy and variegated green/yellow/blue.

Picture of lionpride
posted Hide Post
http://www.ravelry.com/pattern...et-hat---unavailable

This is the lady that had pattern in first place. I have modified it to fit my needs and added earflaps but not sure copy right. I got it back in 2000, it was posted on internet with nothing on about copyright or for use but don't want to step on toes. Will send you private message. Here is the picture of hat. Will come back and post another when get earflaps done on this.

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
The hat looks good. Thanks Dani.

But you know what??....I don't see a pm button on the top of the post. Remember it used to flash when you had a message on it. (Mine just flashed all the time).

Picture of lionpride
posted Hide Post
Got pulled away from computer with kids for little bit, was typing pattern and wanted me to watch movie with them. They are 19 and 22 so nice when they still want to spend time with you. Should have it now. Will come back tomorrow with earflaps, haven't wrote that down, am used to just doing them. Didn't want to hurry thru them and get them wrong. Please feel free to ask any questions. The only problem I have with them is people complain they are too warm.
I see you are in Michigan too. I am up by Manistee area. Grew up in the Traverse City area. :-)

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Up above I said I didn't have a PM button...well when I looked a couple of minutes ago, it was there!!!! and I went to it and read your directions. Clicked out to read rest of posts, then would go back and print out directions. Well, when I went back...there is no pm button again. Don't know what the heck is going on.???!!!!

I really hate to ask, but could you send the directions to my email?

I wish I knew what was going on with these boards lately.

Thanks Dani. Yes, I've lived in Mi all my life. And we had snow this morning. Not looking forward to the snow this year.

JUean

This message has been edited. Last edited by: granny3641,

posted Hide Post
I noticed your post about the pm button. If you click on new in the tabs above the posts, it will show private message to click on. Maybe that will help?

The hat shown looks similar to one I have done over and over, was on a website which has since closed (fortunately I had the insight to print it up and save it) but I don't do ear flaps.
Have fun.

LI Roe

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lionpride
posted Hide Post
Well don't know word keeping my post but second one they have lol.
Sent to you Jean let me know if get, if get 3 ignore the first one and 2-3 are same.
Please also remove your private information.
For every thing else will wait see if my post show.... sigh...

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Dani....by my private information, do you mean my email? Did.

LiRoe...Clicking on new only gives me a box where I can type in a message. I can't find the pm button and the messages that have been sent to me or I've sent to others. Including the one sent yesterday by Dani.

Does anyone else have the pm button? Or is it just my computer?

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Dani...I got it.!!!!! Thank you so much. Will try a hat -double- and let you know how it works. Am sewing the squares together into strips and now just to sew the strips into an afghan.!!! And put the border on. Then will try a hat.

And you can keep the snow up there. lol And it's only 21 degrees here . gone up 3 degrees since 8:00.!!!

Picture of lionpride
posted Hide Post
Ok got the hat done. So here is picture with flaps added.

Oh your flashing pm button disappears when you read the message. Go to the top of thread to the go button, click there then First choice is personal zone move onto that then scroll down to private message and click on it. should show you your private messages there.

Now on to one with three yarns lol

Picture of lionpride
posted Hide Post
Oops doesn't show top tassel. Here is one with that too.

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Gotta make one with the flaps. I like that.

And thank you for helping me find the private messages. Makes me think I'm not really losing my mind. lol