Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  How to block an afghan?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to block an afghan? Sign In/Join 
Picture of granny3641
posted
I've got 3 of the 4 afghans done for my kids for Christmas, but they really need to be blocked. Sister says to wash them, but I'm not sure. They are a circle in a square, kind of like a granny square. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9960 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
What kind of yarn??What does your label say about washing??? I know cleaners use to block things but I never tried them.If they are going to be washed and dried then I'd say go for it.I always enclose a yarn label with the ones I give so the new owner will have the info on the care etc:

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8873 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Thanks for answering Jacky. It's acrylic and it does say wash and dry. So guess that's what I will do. And thanks for the tip about sticking a label in with it. I never thought of that. Will let you know how they turn out.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9960 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I have only made a couple and have never blocked mine. My thought is the use is going to wash and dry (if that's what the label says) they will not block it each time. You may want to make a small sample and wash and dry to see what it looks like.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your help. My sister wash and dried them, leaving them a little damp, and layed them on a bed flat to finish drying. They turned out great. And got the new yarn smell out of them. They are wrapped, packed and mailed to my 4 kids. Whew. But I liked making them. Gonna' make some more.....one of these days. lol

Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it all worked out good.Bet the kids loved them!!!

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8873 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
3 out of 4 really liked them. The 4th said "yah we got the blanket" so I'll kick his backside next time I see him. But he & his wife live in their own little world. Only time I hear from him is when I call him and now that I don't drive over to see them, I don't see them. Going to make a couple more for my 2 sisters. Working on a vest for oldest son and will show a picture when I get it done.