Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  Are you a "picker"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you a "picker"? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I've never heard the term before going online today. If you use the continental method of knitting, you're called a picker.

Just curious about how popular it is in America to use the continental stitch in knitting. I've watched a couple of videos and am going to try to master it. I'm sure it's a lot faster than the way I was taught to knit, holding the yarn in the right hand. FYI, the yarn is held in the left hand when you do the continental method. There's a lot less wasted motion!

Posts: 5970 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Iwas taught continental and cannot do it the other way !!!!!! and yes it's faster.PS why picker????

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8928 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I taught myself to knit "normally" from a book and naturally gravitated to Continental because
it was so much easier.
As a child my mom taught me to crochet, I think
that is why the Continental knitting was so easy
to morph into.
It is quicker, with no wasted motion.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Posts: 563 | Location: near Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: Nov 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
I learned crochet before knitting. Continental was just a progression from crochet. It is so much more motion efficient.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I was sent for knitting lessons when I was 5. Learned the Continental method from an old German lady. When my Irish neighbor saw it, she told me it was wrong. We had a lot of lively discussions about it. I still knit this way.. it's really faster.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always heard it called pick stitching and I learned it from someone who is left handed. I'm right handed but it seems very natural to me and it is so much faster. If you do both styles, have you found your stitch gauge different from one style to the other?

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I am also a Continental knitter. Learned from a book when we were small. Found out years later that was the way our Grandmother in WI knit.

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3451 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
Funny thing, my MIL (rip) born and raised in Germany did the right handed drop and pick-up yarn method.
I learned Continental from an Austrian nun, also learned to crochet first.
Go figure.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm almost finished with my scarf and it's not very pretty. Jacky, I can see why they call it "picking" because you are actually using the point of the needle to pick at the unworked yarn in order to bring it through the stitch. It's probably the best way to describe the method . . . perhaps for lack of a better term.

My stitching is very inconsistent (terribly uneven tension) but I guess that will improve in time with more practice. Not only is this scarf unattractive, but the side edges are curling pretty badly. So now I guess I'm going to have to learn how to block this thing so that it will lay flat. I've never had to block anything before.

A while ago, I believe I read that if you slip the first stitch off the needle at the beginning of every row instead of working it, you'd wind up with a flat edge. Does anyone know if this really works?

I've looked at a couple of online videos on how to block, so I guess I'm either going to have to soak the scarf for 15 minutes, soak up the excess water with a towel, and pin the scarf to a board, rug, or mattress. Or maybe I can use my Rowenta Steambrush or my steam iron like they showed in another video.

Any advice? BTW, it's acrylic yarn, no wool in it. Saw something about how you can only block wool yarn, not acrylic. Is that true?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5970 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I found http://www.knittingdaily.com/g...itches-purlwise.aspx when I did a search on how to get a flat edge on my scarf. Not sure I understand it. After it tells you how to pick stitches purlwise, it doesn't say what to do with them.

Sorry about the long URL but I clicked on URL and tried to type it there and label it but nothing happened.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, I have an aunt who is an expert knitter and she said to keep it from curling she slips the first stitch so I think what you read is true.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
I too slip the first stitch,sometimes as a purl as it leaves a nice edge.Hows your knitting coming along?? I'm still doing the scarfs,lots of dish cloths for friends.

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8928 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I finished the scarf and am not happy with it. It's usable but certainly not giftable!