Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question Sign In/Join 
Picture of NC HillBilly
posted
Ladies, I have a storage building that I keep a lot of my craft supplies in. I have loads of yarn that I have stored in a wooden trunk, and plastic boxes. My yarn has developed a musty smell. Is there anything I can do to get it out so I can use it? I know I can always wash whatever I make, but I don't like the smell while I am crocheting. Thank you for any suggestions.

Pattyo

Posts: 1433 | Location: Dobson, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My DD found some at yard sale the same way. She washes it before using it. She said even feels better when working with it.She put it in a netted sock bag and throws it in the washer. Then dryer I think.

Be happy Be safe

Posts: 1063 | Location: east coast | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I had some like that and I crumbled newspapers up and put in the tote with the yarn. Put the lid back on let set for a couple of weeks. May not take that long, that's just when I checked.

Newspaper work great when trying to get the food smells out of plastic bottle and jars (dill, mustard, mayo, peanut butter, coffee, rancid oil smells, etc.)

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a similar problem at times. When I store it, I add fabric softener sheets in the containers. After I do a project, I hang it outside in the sun and that seems to help also.

Roe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LI Roe,

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NC HillBilly
posted Hide Post
Thank you icecream, granny3641, and LlRoe. I will try each one and see which does the best for me. I really need to use up all that yarn!

Pattyo

Posts: 1433 | Location: Dobson, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post