Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  Double Thick Potholder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Thick Potholder Sign In/Join 
posted
Looking for a crochet pattern that makes a potholder
That folds in on itself to make a double thick potholder then you just stitch the ends together.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Dec 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi

I have instructions for a double thick potholder that is crocheted as one piece (rather than folded then stitched). Happy to share what I have or you might try a Google search.

Mary Ellen

Posts: 218 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the one for which I copied the instructions but if you Google double thick potholder you'll find other versions.

Mary Ellen

Posts: 218 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I was taught a different way years ago. Cast on as many stitches as the size you want. Odd, even, it doesn't matter. Then working in the back loop only single crochet down the length.

Now do not turn your work and do not work in the end of the row. Work single crochet in the other half of the cast on stitches.

You will NEVER turn your work. Just keep going around working in the back half of the stitch only. After a few rounds you will notice the ends starting to fold in. Work till the fold intends meet. So it looks like a square. End off and leave a long enough tail to sew together the diagonal.

If this doesn't make sense let me know.

Posts: 6978 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. The one I was looking for was the one by metwo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: valetta,

Posts: 514 | Registered: Dec 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you could understand the sketchy directions. I have made dozens of these while riding in the car because they are so easy. I often use leftover yarn just changing color when it runs out. Makes it interesting looking....some more than others. Smile

Posts: 6978 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
"Cast on as many stitches" when you say cast on, do you mean to use a long afghan hook instead of single crochets? I've been trying to do some Tunisian crochet with the long hook so I may have 10 stitches on my hook at once.
Or do you mean it's done like this one?
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/diagonal_hotpad.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EvelynB,

Posts: 7287 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post