Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  Need help finishing man's knit hat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help finishing man's knit hat Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
It was 78 sts knit on straight needles. Then I had to shape the top with the last row ending with 10 sts. I have a question with the next instruction: Break yarn leaving a long end. Draw end through remaining sts and fasten securely.

My question is which end do I draw the yarn through? I threaded a yarn needle but don't know which end to draw the yarn through. Do I insert my needle at the end where the yarn is sitting from finishing the last stitch or do I go around to the other end and insert the threaded yarn needle there?

The directions don't say anything about pulling the yarn tight to close up the opening at the crown so I'm wondering if I should draw the crown together AFTER I've stitched the seam needed to sew the hat together.

The last instruction after "draw end through rem sts and fasten securely" says to "Sew center back seam, reversing seam half way for turn back. (The picture looks like there is about a 2-inch turn back, although it really doesn't specify.)

Posts: 6088 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I don't think it makes any difference. I would start from the end where the yarn it attached because its easier. Take a couple stiches across the middle of the gather to fill the tiny hole that will appear in the middle of that gather. Then use that yarn to sew the seam, or at least part of it.

I prefer a hat that doesn't have a turn-back. I use that 2" to cover my ears. You can make any depth of turn-back you want.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
You start where your last stitch is, thread your yarn through that stitch then each of the rest of the stitches on the needle.Then pull it up to gather those stitches up and tie it off.I leave enough from doing this to sew up the seam at back of hat,you can do it as directed if you what the turn up brim.

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8987 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post