Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  Remember my afghan?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember my afghan? Sign In/Join 
Picture of granny3641
posted
Remember the afghan I made and wanted it to be raffled off for the library. Well.....I still have it and the Homer Days celebration is this week-end. The lady at the library didn't get around and get a permit. That was almost 8 weeks ago she was supposed to apply. I'm so upset. I made it with love and really wanted to help the library out. Now I don't know what to do with the afghan. (She thought maybe they could give it away as a prize to someone who reads a lot of books!!! No way!!!!!)

Sorry for the rant. I'm just bummed. Guess I'll have to find another good cause.

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jean, sorry this has happened to you. I'd donate it to another cause, a place that will be honored to be able to benefit from it. You've put a lot of hard work and money into it and it should be handled with gratitude and respect. Hope you find the perfect cause. Liz

Posts: 965 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: Aug 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Thanks Liz. I'm scouting around.

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is so disappointing.....and disgusting.

Have you found another charity?

Posts: 7266 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello Granny,
I know how you feel. I made these beautiful potholders to give the nurses in wound care who take care of DH. I made a dozen, but only gave out 11 pairs. I thought I will give them to the gift shop so they can sell them. I took them out of the bag and told the lady that I wanted them to have them. She pushed then almost off the counter, said they didn't take stuff like that. Later I made a baby blanket on commission for one of the nurses and she all but dragged me down to see the lady who managed the gift shop. The Manager lady loved the blanket, said she wished more people would donate handmade items for sale. I told her I had tried to give a set of pot holders to her shop but the lady wasn't very nice in refusing them. She said please bring them in. I said sorry when she refused them in the manner she did I gave them to someone else. I haven't been back to that gift shop since.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 1001 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I know how you feel Patti. I felt like what I made wasn't good enough for her or 'her' library. But had 'rave' comments from all who saw it. I still have it and still don't know what to do with it.

Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
My friend works as a secretary in an assisted living center. She loves quilting and has spares to share. They are in demand at her job. They raffle them off.

I'll bet they'd welcome your afghan.

Posts: 5428 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes churches have seasonal fairs and may welcome a handmade afghan to be raffled off for more fundraising. Perhaps you could check or ask around.

Roe

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marlena Ritter
posted Hide Post
Granny,
I am so sorry that you had to go thru that. I am wondering how the afghans I am doing right now are going to be received.

Marlena

Posts: 1180 | Location: Wichita Ks | Registered: Jan 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post