Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Knitting & Crocheting
  An idea for 2012
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An idea for 2012 Sign In/Join 
posted
This year has been crochet year for me. It's been a bad year emotionally (longtime friend died after a 10 year illness, etc) and I can kinda crochet afghans mindlessly.

So all year I saved the wrapper from the yarn I used, and tomorrow I'm going to figure out how many skeins and how many ounces/pounds of yarn I used.

I plan to do it again in 2012, and thought I'd throw it out as an idea. Not a competition or anything, just for your own knowledge.

Holly

Posts: 3018 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I counted last night. I used 93 skeins of yarn, ranging from 3 oz to 16 oz, for a total of 613 ounces, which is 40.9 pounds!

I didn't keep track of how many afghans I made. I made at least a dozen baby afghans, which my DD's gave as baby shower gifts. And as least a half dozen big big afghans which I gave to my nephews.

And I still have a big tote filled!

Picture of Jodi's Mom
posted Hide Post
Wow! You have been busy. My family gives me a hard time about how much yarn I have/buy/store but it's where they come when they need some for a project so it's all good.

Posts: 232 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had any where near the amount of yarn that I do fabric! DH has the entire basement filled with computers and parts, so he isn't saying anything.

Picture of Pecasatwo
posted Hide Post
Hi Holly - I would probably be close to your count too - although I like counting the stacks of things I have made or given away - I would have trouble hanging on to wrappers.

Will look forward to hearing your 2012 numbers!!

Posts: 936 | Location: Roselle, Illinois | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a little plastic container that I folded them up in and kept under the sewing table out of the way.

I probably won't match last year, as I put a big dent in my yarn stash.

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
How about an update? As we move into May, tonight I went through the bag where I'm saving all of my yarn labels. So far this year, I've used about 120 oz of yarn, with 36 oz being cotton and the rest being either Red Heart Super Savers or Loops 'N' Threads Impeccable. This does not include the many, many yards of No. 10 crochet thread that I've used so far on doilies, table cloths and bookmarks. Nor does it take into consideration all of the other yarns that were in my stash that didn't have lables on them. If I had to guess, I think that I'm probably close to 150 oz by now. Any one else have an update.

LindaJ52

Posts: 2394 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
Okay, since when we're finally in December, I thought I'd bring this thread forward. I don't have a current total to report yet, but I have been saving all of my yarn wrappers in one of those nice little bags that you get for $1 or $2 at the bookstore. I will be doing the total on January 1. I have been doing a lot of crochet this year. I made 6 ponchos, a dozen adult hats, a dozen kids hats, several scarves, a dozen cowls, 20 more flower hot pads, a dozen can/bottle cozies, 2 leather strap bags, 3 new market bags, 6 new doilies, a toddler's dress and hat, 2 new baby afghan's, two dozen pairs of fingerless mitts (the local school bus drivers love them), several new beaded necklaces and bracelets (some crocheted from wire), some more snowflakes, a couple of table runners/dresser scarves, and a sweater for me (made with yarn my niece gave me for Chr*stmas last year)!

I'm not sure what the final total will be, but I can tell you that I'm going to need to do a yarn buying trip after the first of the year. Oh, and the one thing that I didn't get finished (haven't even had time to work on it all year) is the pineapple table cloth that I started last year. Hopefully, this winter I'll be able to get it done.

So, anyone else been tracking their yarn usage this year?

LindaJ52

Posts: 2394 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris In CO
posted Hide Post
I think you should take these wrappers and make a purse! You've seen those gum wrapper purses? Yep, you should make something with them Smile.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Littleton, CO | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Crafts by Cheri
posted Hide Post
I have saved all my wrapper this year too. I will add up all the yards soon. This is a great idea.
Cheri

Posts: 596 | Location: Middletown, IA, USA | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad you all liked my idea! I've been saving wrappers again all year, and will count them December 31. I've been making baby afghans all year- seems like everyone my DD's know is pregnant or just had a baby.

posted Hide Post
I just totaled up for 2012. I used 456.6 ounces, which is 28.5 pounds of yarn!

Any one else kept track?

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to adding up my total. I used approximately 299.8 ounces of yarn last year and about 650 yards of #10 crochet thread (they only give you yardage on those balls, not weight). I probably did closer to 325 ounces since I had thrown out several labels before we started this project. BTW, my total weighed about 18.75 pounds. LOL! Well, the bag is empty and ready to receive 2013 labels. I like the idea of tracking my yarn usage. Helps me to see what I've accomplished in a year.

LindaJ52

Picture of Crafts by Cheri
posted Hide Post
I finally added up all my wrappers. Some of them only had yards and not ounces, so I just added up the total yards. I had 25,879 yards of yarns and thread. The vast majority was size #10 crochet cotton thread. So I crocheted up almost 15 miles of thread and yarn. Some of it was gifts, some things for our granddaughter, and alot of items that I was able to sell. I will keep my wrappers for 2013 and see how it compares. I still have a ton of thread and yarn on hand.
Cheri

Posts: 596 | Location: Middletown, IA, USA | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love you're idea. I have lost count already what I have done since January. I had surgery may 3. I decided to finish my ufos. I have finished 3afghans; &1baby Afghan. 92 dishcloths; have just started a new Afghan. Decided to make all nine grandchildren new Afghans.
I also have a grandson that has medical problems. There is a lady that helps get children what they need. So I think I will make her some things too. She raffles items off to help pay for the items she needs to have made for the child. No money is asked of the parents. My grandsons was just sent a weighted blanket. The cost her $60. To have it made and sent to my grandson they also send a couple small gifts for the sibilings. Better get busy. If I still have a job I will be back at work in 5 weeks.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jul 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did my count for 2013, because I'll be going to WA to see my grand baby, on December 26.

I made 62 of the no crochet scarves, using 14.5 pounds. I used 26 other skeins of regular yarn of various weights, which (only) came to 8.5 pounds. So my grand total for 2013 is 23 pounds.

Anyone else have numbers?

Holly

Picture of Omma5
posted Hide Post
I don't crochet a lot...but I do some and I sew a ton! I don't save wrappers or receipts...but I do have a little notebook in my sewing room and I keep track of what I purchase and what I use in that. Amazing the yardage of fabric and ounces of yarn one can use in a year!!

Fun subject, Holly.... Smile

Posts: 4260 | Location: New York | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post