Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  "Penny a Bunch" print--circa 1915
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Penny a Bunch" print--circa 1915 Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a picture (print I think) that was a wedding gift to my grandparents from a rich friend in it's original frame.

It's "Penny a Bunch" or "The Violet Girl" showing a sad-eyed urchin selling violets. Her eyes seem to follow you across the room and as kids we all were spooked by it.

DO you think it might have any ** value? She looks so hopeful and sad at the same time.

THANK YOU.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I am by no means an art expert but did google "the violet girl". It is a painting done by Ferdinand Georg Waldmüller in 1865. It might be worthwhile to ask an antiques dealer in your area.

piney

Posts: 3248 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
If pinecone knows the artist and the painting it means it is not one of a kind but a print. So it depends on what kind of a print it is. These vary widely in value from pennies to many dollars.

The frame itself may have some value if it is in good condition. You could also check with Ebay or etsey to see if any are for sale on those sites

Posts: 13133 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post