Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  What was this table originally used for?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was this table originally used for? Sign In/Join 
posted
I lost my Mom in January. One small table she left has me confused. It has a circular hole at center of the table top, and four screw/nail holes in shape of a quadrangle surrounding it. There is a small gold color plate nailed on below it. I thought it might identify the maker, but it is just ribbed lines. I suspect something was once attached to it, but have no idea what. Does anyone know what this tables original use was?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jehndrsn,

table

Posts: 9 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to read of your loss. It is hard to empty out parent's houses. No clue here but hopefully someone can shed some light.

piney

Posts: 3188 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for your kind words. I miss her every day. She was my antiquing buddy since I was a little girl.

Posts: 9 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
My dad and I would meet at a local auction house when I moved back to the area. (DH would rather stay home) Now I have the daunting task of cleaning his house out. Thank goodness for happy memories.

piney

Posts: 3188 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
My first thought, although this table is small...if this is a very old piece it makes me think of the old "ice box"-didn't some have a small motor attached? Just a wild guess.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7511 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the guess, but don't think it is large enough to have been an ice box. It measures 13 inches wide x 13 inches deep, and is 27 inches tall.

posted Hide Post
Could it be a sewing table where yarn is fed through the hole, or does the hole not go all the way through, or is it just in the wood top? Nice place to put a pretty bowl.

love life

Posts: 1513 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hole is just through the top of table. Whatever was fed through it would have ended up in the drawer beneath. I am now thinking of maybe covering the hole with a sheet of marble to cover table top. My original thought was perhaps it could have been a coffee grinder, but have found nothing similar anywhere to give credence to this. Thank you so much for your reply.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
A marble top could be a good fix, and it would keep the original table intact.
I might also consider a glass globe vase, for flowers, or a nice crystal ball or small gazing ball to fill the void.

Posts: 9613 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of that! I love gazing balls, witches balls, etc. Thank you for your suggestions!

posted Hide Post
Is it copper behind the door? It looks like a vintage smoking stand to me. I saw something similar on ebay. I would think there would have been an ashtray that sat in the hole on top.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it's wood throughout.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Okay. This is what I've been thinking.
Maybe:
The hole in the top is to securely hold a wash basin and the door is for the "thunder jar" to hide behind. ???

Of course, it may be too short and the area behind the door too small for a pot...but that's a thought.

Posts: 17046 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Is the aging on the cut wood for the hole similar to the aging of the rest of the piece? It might be that the piece was altered at some point in life to accommodate an ash tray or wash basin as suggested. Perhaps you'll find the answer in old photos if you have family albums.

Posts: 3265 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the wood does match. I had never considered looking through all of Mom's old family photos. Thank you for the suggestion. Mom followed the family tradition of passing everything down rather than sell or give things to others who may appreciate them. I inherited the entire contents of her home, as my sister has no interest in antiques, vintage, genealogy, etc., in exchange for my half interest in Moms home. No way could I afford the upkeep on a house that size. This piece piqued my interest for some reason.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for your loss but the fact that you and your Mom shared that love of antiques will always comfort you now as you look around your home and see the very things she loved. I have things that my Mom had treasured and some of her things I just couldn't get back home and it broke my heart. I know a lot of people do not care for old furniture or quilts etc. but I always get the feeling when I see something old how much it was loved. Good luck with your lovely table and getting your answer.

html

Posts: 2486 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Photos will hopefully give you a clue as to it's purpose, but if you Google "smoking stand" you'll find a host of similar tables. Your' s might not be metal lined, but that doesn't mean it wasn't used that way.

Posts: 3265 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your kind words. Mom had Alzheimer's, and before it really stole her memory and speech I would photograph her things and write the provenance and memories, of most everything along with makers,dates, etc. I love genealogy, too, and there is a lot of family history there. I miss Mom more than I can say.

posted Hide Post
Without the metal lined caveat, I went on google images after reading your reply. Lo and behold, I have my answer! It is indeed a smoking stand. Now I am determined to find the pieces needed to restore it. Thank you all so much!