Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  Have scrapbook--from WW II--has POW money-ENGLISH---
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have scrapbook--from WW II--has POW money-ENGLISH--- Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a scrapbook in my family and wonder if things in it are valuable! Who in the world would I ask for that kind of thing?

One page has 2--pieces of POW money printed for POWs in ENGLAND during WWII. AND there are tickets, draft physical notice etc.--pictures of war ships and ships he traveled on.

Pictures of cities in Europe and many other WWII momentoes! WHERE do I go with it?

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Bruce Herman is an appraiser/expert on WWII memorabilia; he often appears on Antiques Roadshow. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadsh...aisers/bruce-herman/

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
That's a wonderful piece of history. I would consider donating it to a museum/library and taking the tax deduction. There are so many museums dedicated to WWII. And because it is a family piece, you have some provenance to add with it.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 415 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
How exciting to hold a piece of history in your hands!

My husband tells stories from his childhood about the POW German soldiers in Matagorda County Texas.

Posts: 16462 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my dad's diary from WWII... he was 18 when he joined the army... it brings tears to my eyes when I read it. I am always in awe of that generation. My mothr put together some nice scap books with pictures of friends. I can remember him pointing to those that did not come home. He was a 24 yr old sarge responsible for the younger ones. Now if that doesn't humble you ... nothing will.
Like you I have things that need to be looked at and possible place with groups. I have uniforms ( that he stole off a clothes line) leaving a German soldier wondering where his clothes had gone. I have an officers woolen winter coat that is in wonderful condition... and flags that were flown in places that should never be forgotten.

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A BFF and I had lunch yesterday. In going through her parents' belongings she found photos her mother's brother had taken during WWII while he was stationed in Australia! She is trying to decide what to do with them.

Posts: 16462 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since we are part of the techie age we can scan copies that can be shared with family, service organizations as well as historical settings.
The final sentences in my dads diary talk about this long hard and interesting journey .... then how he'd be home the next day. I always tear up when I read that. Growing up he told us about things he had seen... until we were teens he edited out the number of friends he'd lost. The ugliest parts of war. I will tell you he was haunted when they rolled through towns where camps had been... it touched him deeply.

I was given some oval frames my grandmother had... the pictures in them were of her brothers in uniform during WWI... you just never know where another family trasure will show up.

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No WW related, but Becky42 you are so correct! I typed up my mother-in-law's diary (she gave it to my husband for Christmas one year) so everyone could have a copy. I wanted to scan her photos and include them in the same file with the diary - matching as close as possible the photos with the diary dates. However, my brother-in-law is in possession of the photos and refuses to let anyone else have them. ??? Such a shame.

I have scanned many of my parents' photos then divided the originals among the four of us many times turning the pile upside down and dealing them like cards so that I would not intentionally get the best of them. Each of use got "our" stack of photos and a CD of all of them. I even made CDs for each of my nieces and nephews.

I created two files on the CDs. One of the photos scanned. Each file name includes the approximate date and when I could, the names of the people in the photo. The other file, I labeled the photos themselves so that the "kids" would know who each person is...this also helps us know who the old folks are...ancestors we never met.

It is time consuming, but I consider it a labor of love.