Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  Tea Set with E.P.N.S. on bottom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tea Set with E.P.N.S. on bottom Sign In/Join 
posted
From what I could find on the internet those letters stand for ElectroPlated Nickel Silver. Is this considered a cheap or expensive way of silver plating something?

Tea Set

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yes, pretty much the case.

Posts: 9598 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Conrad, which is it though, cheap or expensive way?

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Sorry.
Electroplating is very inexpensive as the plating is VERY thin and nickel Silver is not actually silver.
More information on Nickel Silver in link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

Posts: 9598 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Conrad. So that is why the set is very dull instead of shiny because it actually has no silver in it. I can't find any other markings on it other than that so I guess there is no way to trace the manufacturer or find the date of manufacture. Still I think it's pretty even if it's not silver plate. I guess then all that's needed to keep it clean is to just wipe it off occasionally.

Thanks
Chris

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
The set could be polished. Unless it is worn through. It is still a very nice set. Well worth keeping and displaying.

Posts: 12513 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, no, it's not worn through at all. It pretty much looks brand new in fact. Is it polished with regular silver polish like we use on the silver plate or some other way?

posted Hide Post
Yes, they have the same design them. I just wish I could find some other kind of markings to show the manufacturer.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
yes, regular silver polish! I use Wrights.

Posts: 12513 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit more involved than that. First wash with phosphate and scent free dish soap, then you use equal parts of glass cleaner and vinegar and using a cotton ball you wipe it down and dry off with a soft cloth. Then you apply the silver polish and buff to a nice shine. It makes even German silver look nice.