Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antique Bowl Sign In/Join 
posted
I was given this bowl about 15 years ago. My Aunt who has passed away told me that it was an antique. It has no visible name on it but it does appear to be old. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. I'm attaching a photo. I can take more if needed.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards. Your bowl is very pretty. Wish I could help you out but maybe someone will be on soon.. Is it cloisonne?

piney

Posts: 3191 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for responding to my post. Unfortunately I know nothing about the origins of this bowl. I also know very little about antique pottery. Im just hoping someone can give me some insight Smile

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Is there no mark of any sort on the bottom?

Posts: 17071 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately no, there are no marks anywhere. Its clearly old. Very puzzling!

Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
It does appear to be cloisonne. Is the bowl metal? Google 'cloisonne bowl' and make comparisons.

Posts: 46 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does look similar but the bowl is ceramic.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Lovely. Be extra careful with that beauty. I also think of cloisonné jewelry when looking at the picture. I have a bracelet that looks similar. How lucky you are to have that.

html

Posts: 2486 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Looks to be hand painted porcelain (does the light filter through "translucent" creating a shadow of your finger when held to bright light?)
The painted design looks Japanese to me also. I have several pieces of Nippon and this is what I am comparing to. Age, perhaps early 1900's?

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No the light does not filter through it.

posted Hide Post
The painting has a raised texture.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If the light does not come through, it is probably just made of china, and not the finer/thinner porcelain.

The raised gold areas are applied and kiln fired just as the painted areas are.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post