Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inherited Table Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
After acquiring this last year, I just put it in an out of the way spot in my living room. It was pretty much hidden. Last weekend I moved it up front and center.

My mother got it from her aunt who used it on her back porch to GROOM POODLES!!!

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was still all there, but had to be refinished when my mother got it from her aunt. I love it! And love its new location.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh, that's a beautiful table- what exquisite details and beautiful top.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
It's very nice, love the pattern on top.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cranberry hobnail lamp in the background is going to go on the table, but I need a little scarf/doily to go under it so that it won't scratch the table or hide the top.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I put little felt pads on the bottoms of my things -- then I don't have to worry about scuffing and I can move things around without worry about doilies.

I got mine at Wal Mart.

Martha

Posts: 6348 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That lamp has 10-12 feet. Maybe a whole felt circle cut to fit...

BTW, that is NOT a glass of wine with ice in it. Smile It's a glass of sassafras tea...I just thought it looked pretty in the wine glass...with that lamp and my first 'wedding' photo. Wink

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Sherry, is that cranberry hobnail lamp an antique?

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5579 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish!

It's Fenton. DM was a dealer for many years. I like their Burmese line (I have a breakfront China cabinet full of Burmese and a few odds and ends of other Fenton pieces).

1st DH and I were browsing the catalog. He liked this. Christmas 1995 he gave me a Fenton Burmese lamp. I gave him this one.

posted Hide Post
Id say 50s-60s,possibly italian.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Sherry, I love the table, such graceful legs and the inlay is beautiful. IMHO, a doily is what is needed under the lamp as that is what was done at the time. One similar to the one you have for the tea. I have so many of my mothers linens that she collected.

piney

Posts: 3240 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I set the lamp on the mini quilt for now. I have several doilies in different sizes, just have not pulled them out...I know...lazy...wait...Lazy with a capital L. Wink

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
nope, not lazy at all. Sometimes we have too many choices. I have so many doilies, runners, table cloths... it is hard to let some go but too many is a chore.

piney

Posts: 3240 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
I am so proud you didn't slap a coat of chalk paint and sandpapered to rough up the edges.

I know a lady that took a $500.00 antique Duncan Phyfe hutch, painted the poor thing and reduced the value to about $50.00.

There is nothing so pretty as a well cared for antique where the wood gleams and smells of lemon oil.

Posts: 49 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Craigslist in my area has a table like that one and is asking $375.00 for it. I love your table.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nikintx:
I am so proud you didn't slap a coat of chalk paint and sandpapered to rough up the edges.

I like wood...the grain and the feel...and the warmth of wood. IMHO you only paint over cheap wood or furniture that is broken and repaired cheaply.

I've painted only one piece of furniture in my life - my grandmother's kitchen cabinet. It probably had 43 layers of paint on it already. Wink I did strip it down some, but when I saw the wood was not very good, I painted it like my granddad did...white.

My opinion.